Skip to main content

Its all in the game

It's going to be hard for me to write about basketball even though my Jayhawks lost in the championship game of the NCAA tournament this last season.  That being said I'm proud of the heart they showed and it reminded how much I love the game.

I've been playing basketball since I was a young nerd playing on the playground of Quindaro elementary school.  There was something about taking your team and battling some other squad.  I wasn't even that big... well actually I was little.  I was the littlest person on the team clear into my teens.

Me and the neighborhood kids would walk to Klam park (Home of many a crime scene) on Saturdays and pretend to be our favorite NBA Stars.  I was always Scottie Pippen.  Not because I liked him or anything, I just played great defense and wouldn't score unless it was an easy one.

Thinking back, I really had some slow developing game but there's one thing that would always get me notice; I would hustle my ass off.  Steals, rebounds and put backs aren't about height or strength (I had neither) it was about desire, that I had.  When you're the littlest thing in the hood you have to show something to avoid being a punk.

Basketball was the first thing that could unleash the raw emotion in me.  It was amazing how much faster I could move and how many people I could embarrass with the sheer will to do it.

As my skills improved, that switch in my head that made let the beast out always remained.  Due to the grace of God, my body finally started to thicken out about my sophomore year in college.  My small stature kept me out of organized ball since the 9th grade but I learned to love the game on the streets with my boys, it will forever leave me a street baller.

The new body and continually growing skill set helped me embarrass rich white kids at the university gym.  It also gave me a shared love with my frat brothers; more street ballers.

It is crazy how the game can bring people together.  I remember one lazy day at the gym, I was just shooting around with one of my rivals in another black fraternity.  The Kappas(Him) and the Sigmas(Me) had an uneasy relationship since one of my frat brothers pulled a gun on one of the Kappas after they jumped one of us at a club a couple of years before.  Things were cooling off but we were all a little uneasy.

Anyway about five 6'3" white guys came in asking for a game.  Now, me and the Kappa were both about 6 foot and no strangers to the court.  Our proposed teammates were some 5'6"ish freshman that were complete scrubs.  We should have rejected the challenge but we weren't about to run from no fucking fratboys.  They were some athletic white boys too.  We shouldn't have had a chance but after they warmed up (and we prayed for another tall guy to show up).  It was time to play.

In a game to 11, me and the Kappa dropped 10 straight shots on 10 possessions. (I had at least 5).  We both had blocks, steals and rebounds but by that time we were tired as hell.  The white boys climbed to within three.  Then I did something spectacular (of course).  I picked this dudes pocket extra clean and the Kappa went out on the break.  I was too tired to run down the court with him so I passed it off.  He was on a 1 on 2 break.  He shook left, shook right and threw up this NASTY fadeaway over the outstretched arms of one of the defenders and rattled it home.

I have no idea why we celebrated so hard.  All five of us acted like we just won the NCAA championship.  The Kappa ran up on me yelling "Yeah, Nigga!!!'  We gave each other the hardest bro-shake ever. (Half hug, half handshake).  We both were yelling "That's what I'm talking about."  Me and that nigga have been friends ever since.  A few years later our respective fraternities got into it again and me him played the peacemakers.  If it weren't for that one basketball game we wouldn't even have been on speaking terms and I probably would have gone upside his head myself.

That's the type of stuff the game can do.  That's not even counting the highs and lows you get from being a fan.

Watching my Jayhawks break the hearts of Missouri fans one last time at the feild house was a slice of heaven.  It brought back to time when I was a kid and get so amped watching Jaque Vaughn lead the Hawks to victory.  It was the same feeling people got from watching Mike or Magic or Larry Legend. 

The game provided role models for inner city kids and the only catharsis a lot of us could find.

The game provides our first introductions to rules, friendship, battle, justice and love.  All that stuff takes place in their purest forms and for that I'm eternally grateful.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

There's gold in them thar crates

Right now I’m listening to Camp Lo’s Uptown Saturday Night.   I don’t know how much play this album got around the nation when it dropped in 1997, but it didn’t get any love in Kansas City, but If you haven’t heard, it is the shit! I don’t know when it became the general consensus that rap music that didn’t come out in the last 6 months isn’t good but we have to remember hip-hop’s history of being the product of people that were willing to dig in those crates. Bargain bins at the used CD store, garage sales and amazon.com all have great CDs that you never heard.   Not to mention all of those CDs with 2 or 3 great songs on them. My point is that great music doesn’t have a shelf life.   Just because Kanye and Jay-Z keep coming out with hits doesn’t mean Reasonable Doubt and The College Dropout aren’t great CDs.   It’s just the opposite.   There has been a long time since somebody referred to a rap album that is universally referred to as a classic.   Think about it.   There have

I'm going to get myself killed

I’m not suicidal or anything.   I just tend to forget to protect myself.   I don’t even get scared when things get real.   I remember distinctly the first time I saw someone try to kill someone else. Me and the boys were partaking in our favorite pastime; playing football in the street.   It was around the time we were all in middle school so I was around 12 years old.   I had probably just passed the 100 lbs. mark.   It was like any other afternoon in the summer but suddenly some man came running up the street.   Something was off about him.   He was running too hard.   He wasn’t even running that fast but you could tell he was trying his heart out.   Just as he was turning the corner at the end of the block, we found out why.   Another man came up the hill behind us as we watched the running man go.   He wasn’t running either.   He had more of a brisk walk.   When he got far enough over the slope of the hill he raised his right arm, took aim and fired three shots while he was
Maury must be stopped. No one has profited more from Black people being ignorant than he.   I know the old saying: “Mama’s baby, Papa’s maybe.” But, contrary to popular belief, Black men love their children.   Everyone loves children.   Even if Black men realize that they aren’t bringing much to a household, they know that there is magic there.   That magic might be scary, like all magic, but it’s there.   There isn’t much difference between the love that develops between a man and a child with his D.N.A.   and a man that a child that he has raised. I am my father’s son.   No, I’m not light skinned or a hustler, but I laugh when I hear something funny.   I’ll sit on a porch and dink liquor all Saturday morning.   My toes are extraordinarily long (just like his).   I will see a beautiful woman and take notice just because I am a man and that’s what a man does.   My dad raised me well. When you see a Black man on Maury, you know he is going to be running from the responsibil