Skip to main content

The two that got away


I have had a lot of great relationships with women in my life.  I couldn’t rate them if I wanted to; that is, accept for the one with my wife, of course.

But, looking back in all my dealings with the opposite sex, there are two women that stand out for two very different reasons.  They are the ones that I actually didn’t have a relationship with.  Of all the women I’ve dealt with, these two always stand out in my past.  These are the two that got away:

I will use false names because I don’t like to embarrass people on the internet.  But, I will try to keep the pseudonyms close enough that these women know that I’m talking about them. 

Shyra was a goddess.  I haven’t seen her in 10 years and to this day, she is the most beautiful woman that I’ve ever seen.  She was mixed or something.  She had the most beautiful gray eyes that you could get lost in at a single glance.  To this day, I don’t know if they were contacts.  All I know is that I loved to see them.

Her eyes are what killed me.  The rest of her is what killed everyone else.  She was about 5’9” and had a perfect body.  Anything a man likes on a woman, she had it.  Breast, legs, perfect teeth, long hair, she had it all.  What is better, she was nice.  A woman that gorgeous on a college campus knows that she could have any man that she wanted but every time I saw her, she would smile, more with her eyes than with her mouth.  People can fake smiles with their mouths, not with their eyes.

We met because she worked the I.D. counter at the gym, and young Cogito was a gym rat.  Before I found a love for weight lifting, I loved to play basketball.  Anytime I got enough free time I would hit Robinson gym on campus.  There were all sorts of ballers there; from Asian dudes to tall girls to guys from KU’s basketball team.  Most notably Ex-NBA/D-league player Billy Thomas would demoralize cats there on a regular.  But, before the balling came, you would have to swipe your I.D. and at the turn style, when I was lucky enough, sat Shyra.  Her job was to make sure the I.D.s would clear but she would always chat with me.  It was strange for me because, being the nerd that I am, I wasn’t used to such attention from such a pretty girl, but only a jerk would not chat with anyone after several attempts to strike up convo.

Outside of the gym we would bump into each other out at the local night spots.  She would be surrounded by her friends, obviously used to being hit on by random niggas, but when she would see me, she would smile and wave.  Women, you need to stop underestimating the power of the smile and wave.  That shit can break a man down.  You know what’s even better than that?  We would dance.  When a woman leaves a pack of friends to dance with you, it means that you are more than a random nigga to her.

So, you’re probably wondering how I let the goddess get away.  The problem was, she was out of my league, or so I thought.  She was popular, gorgeous and was going places and I knew it.

I would tell myself after every time I saw her that I was delusional.  There was no way I could get her.  Eventually the prophecy fulfilled itself and she graduated and moved on.  Like so many women from my past, we stay in Facebook contact but the young nerd in me doesn’t contact her much, thinking that she would never remember the me that used to love gazing into her eyes.

Looking back, I believe that she liked me and that I should have tried something… it is better to look back at a time that you tried and failed than the time you punked out.

About the same time in my life, I got the pleasure of meeting Sharon.  I will always remember the first time I saw her.  She was headed into Jayhawk tower C with her roommate.  I felt so happy when I saw her going into her room, right across from the room I was moving in to. 

Sharon was nothing like Shyra.  She had beautiful brown skin, short (no ass), and gave ya boy the cold shoulder at every possible turn.  For the first few months she avoided me like the plague.  I would always wonder what was up with the Black girl across the hall.

Time went on and I understood.  She just didn’t mess with Black dudes and I, if nothing else was a Black dude.  I was one of the few in our building that wasn’t an athlete (one of the few on our campus, really) so I was pretty damned low on the totem pole (which made Shyra’s smile so much sweeter).  But the thing that attracted me to her is that we were unapologetically who we were, as different as we were.  I think that sort of honesty about ourselves let us gravitate toward each other.  Also there was the fact that all the white people around us kind of assumed that we would eventually mate like zoo animals.  Every time I was seen with her, everyone would just assume that we had finally got together.  I remember one warm spring day when I was walking her back to her apartment, just chatting it up, and my roommate saw us on his way to class and said “Aww, so cute.”  She was silent until she was inside her door.

That’s how it was with us.  Any sign of romance and one of us would shut down.  Our best times were spent playing Dr.Mario and Tetris, never so much as a kiss, which is surprising considering the amount of times we got fucked up together.  But she wasn’t in to me so that is how it went.  Somehow, we always remained friends.  After her dates with corny White dudes and my relationships with maladjusted Black women, we knew that we had a real friendship there that we could always turn to.  Not that her precious White dudes didn’t bother me from time to time.  I remember one particular country boy came to pick her up and he had a handle bar mustache… I was not pleased.

She didn’t like my girlfriends either.  And they sure hated her ass.  I would talk about her like she was one of my boys.  Somehow telling the young women that I was dating that I was out all night with Sharon really pissed them off.  I suppose that they had good reason.  I can’t say that I was ever in love with her, but I will love that woman until my dying day. 

She was my friend that had no reason.  She was comfortable being herself and I was happy being me around her.  I guess you could that love.  Somehow it never went further than that.  That being said, friendship never has to.

Yet, she is a beautiful woman, and I am a man.  Hearing her claims of loneliness will always cut me deep.  They did then like they do now.  Not only because when a real friend hurts, I hurt, but because I know somehow, someway, I could have done something about it.

I feel a little guilty because I’ve found a spouse and she hasn’t.  I can’t wait to go to her wedding.  Lord wiling, I can avoid throwing shade at the groom.  She got away from me and I was blessed with a wife and daughter.  I still want her to have the same feelings.

I guess that’s life.  Sometimes they get away but that’s no reason to stop fishing.  It’s also a good reason to remember.  Because those two got away, I have plenty of reason to hold my wife close and make sure that I never, EVER have to say the same about her.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

There's gold in them thar crates

Right now I’m listening to Camp Lo’s Uptown Saturday Night.   I don’t know how much play this album got around the nation when it dropped in 1997, but it didn’t get any love in Kansas City, but If you haven’t heard, it is the shit! I don’t know when it became the general consensus that rap music that didn’t come out in the last 6 months isn’t good but we have to remember hip-hop’s history of being the product of people that were willing to dig in those crates. Bargain bins at the used CD store, garage sales and amazon.com all have great CDs that you never heard.   Not to mention all of those CDs with 2 or 3 great songs on them. My point is that great music doesn’t have a shelf life.   Just because Kanye and Jay-Z keep coming out with hits doesn’t mean Reasonable Doubt and The College Dropout aren’t great CDs.   It’s just the opposite.   There has been a long time since somebody referred to a rap album that is universally referred to as a classic.   Think about it.   There have

I'm going to get myself killed

I’m not suicidal or anything.   I just tend to forget to protect myself.   I don’t even get scared when things get real.   I remember distinctly the first time I saw someone try to kill someone else. Me and the boys were partaking in our favorite pastime; playing football in the street.   It was around the time we were all in middle school so I was around 12 years old.   I had probably just passed the 100 lbs. mark.   It was like any other afternoon in the summer but suddenly some man came running up the street.   Something was off about him.   He was running too hard.   He wasn’t even running that fast but you could tell he was trying his heart out.   Just as he was turning the corner at the end of the block, we found out why.   Another man came up the hill behind us as we watched the running man go.   He wasn’t running either.   He had more of a brisk walk.   When he got far enough over the slope of the hill he raised his right arm, took aim and fired three shots while he was
Maury must be stopped. No one has profited more from Black people being ignorant than he.   I know the old saying: “Mama’s baby, Papa’s maybe.” But, contrary to popular belief, Black men love their children.   Everyone loves children.   Even if Black men realize that they aren’t bringing much to a household, they know that there is magic there.   That magic might be scary, like all magic, but it’s there.   There isn’t much difference between the love that develops between a man and a child with his D.N.A.   and a man that a child that he has raised. I am my father’s son.   No, I’m not light skinned or a hustler, but I laugh when I hear something funny.   I’ll sit on a porch and dink liquor all Saturday morning.   My toes are extraordinarily long (just like his).   I will see a beautiful woman and take notice just because I am a man and that’s what a man does.   My dad raised me well. When you see a Black man on Maury, you know he is going to be running from the responsibil