Skip to main content

New Year, Old Me

As it stands, I am 6' tall and 185 pounds; exactly the same dimensions that I was 10 years ago.  My abs are slightly less Usher-like but still, not bad for 36 years of age.  needless to say that weight loss isn't my New Year's ambition.

It took me a minute to think about what I really wanted in the New Year and of all the things that I thought of, most of it was a piece of me I'd lost in the last couple of decades.  With that in mind, here are some old year resolutions that I hope to keep in the one seven.

1)  Pretend to be balling

Once upon a time, if I hit payday with $200 in my account it was time to turn the fuck up.  Nowadays it's time to re-evaluate my spending.  How did that happen?  It was probably because I have a wife that comes up with the most creative ways to cost me 100 bones but it could be that I have a different concept of money now.  I want to build my family a fortune and triple digits just ain't gonna do it.  Of course, there are two options that I have.  Spend less and earn more.  The video game budget shalt not suffer so I suppose I better get back on the job hunt or just be satisfied with the plethora of nickles that I have to rub together.

2)  Give less fucks

I was driving to work the other day; thinking about how late I was and it dawned on me that I never used to care about such trivialities as the first seven (to twenty) minutes of work.  I don't do shit that early anyway.  I'm not sure when i started giving such random fucks but that seriously needs to stop.  It's raising my blood pressure.

3)  Write more

I enjoy writing because it lets me stand on my soapbox and rage against the dying of the light.  I still think about a great many things but even when I think I've struck blogger gold, I go home and play video games.  Of course, I forget the fleeting moment of genius and wonder what I have to do stop getting shot in the back every time I fucking spawn on Call of Duty.  This year, I gotta remember how great it is to take shots at people that don't respawn behind you.

4)  Curse

Because fuck it.  It's more fun and sometimes 'bitch ass nigga' is just right term to use for these bitch ass, fuck ass, retarded as niggas.

5)  Go for the drawls

At some time last year I created a baby.  Such a thing has made me a billionteen less likely to skeet for the sky.  But, I remember a time when just sheer success of getting it in made all the strike outs worth it.  Since I'm married to woman that isn't a battered wife, going for the drawls isn't exactly as successful as one may hope but I have to remember the thrill of the game.  Also I have to get my balls clipped...

6)  Be proud

Lastly, I need to get back to being proud of my underachieving, broke ass self.  I'm not in jail and gainfully employed and there are a lot of people that can't say both of those things.  I try my ass off and even when I fail, you have to have tried to fly to fall.  I have to remember to keep my skinny chest puffed out even when I got 2 of 3 women in the house crying and my car is giving a death wheeze in the driveway.  I've gotten this far and fuck it, I ain't dead yet.


This is going to be a regressive year in America so why shouldn't I get back to the old Cogito that drank Jose Cuervo from the bottle and ate pussy in cars?  It appears that world plans on burning anyway and just like The Joker's plastic surgeon used to say, If you gotta go, go with a smile.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

There's gold in them thar crates

Right now I’m listening to Camp Lo’s Uptown Saturday Night.   I don’t know how much play this album got around the nation when it dropped in 1997, but it didn’t get any love in Kansas City, but If you haven’t heard, it is the shit! I don’t know when it became the general consensus that rap music that didn’t come out in the last 6 months isn’t good but we have to remember hip-hop’s history of being the product of people that were willing to dig in those crates. Bargain bins at the used CD store, garage sales and amazon.com all have great CDs that you never heard.   Not to mention all of those CDs with 2 or 3 great songs on them. My point is that great music doesn’t have a shelf life.   Just because Kanye and Jay-Z keep coming out with hits doesn’t mean Reasonable Doubt and The College Dropout aren’t great CDs.   It’s just the opposite.   There has been a long time since somebody referred to a rap album that is universally referred to as a classic.   Think about it.   There have

I'm going to get myself killed

I’m not suicidal or anything.   I just tend to forget to protect myself.   I don’t even get scared when things get real.   I remember distinctly the first time I saw someone try to kill someone else. Me and the boys were partaking in our favorite pastime; playing football in the street.   It was around the time we were all in middle school so I was around 12 years old.   I had probably just passed the 100 lbs. mark.   It was like any other afternoon in the summer but suddenly some man came running up the street.   Something was off about him.   He was running too hard.   He wasn’t even running that fast but you could tell he was trying his heart out.   Just as he was turning the corner at the end of the block, we found out why.   Another man came up the hill behind us as we watched the running man go.   He wasn’t running either.   He had more of a brisk walk.   When he got far enough over the slope of the hill he raised his right arm, took aim and fired three shots while he was

R.I.P. Rusty Hayes

Pretty soon here I’m going to say goodbye to my dad.   I suppose that I already have.   When I walked into the place where he lived and saw him there, dead, with his mouth cocked open in a very strange angle, I realized that I had been saying goodbye to my dad for some time now.   That body that laid there in the nursing home did not resonate my father at all. You see, my dad was a big guy.   Always was to me.   That body there was emaciated and small; so much not the powerful figure that I remember. When I was younger, I remember how much I wanted to grow up to look like my dad.   He was muscular, handsome and light skinned and I was anything but (I still have beef with every negro that got blessed with being light skinned in the ‘90s).   The best thing about my dad, though, is that he had a serious thirst for life.   He always laughed so hard that you had to turn around and wonder what the fuck was going on over there that was so damned funny.   When I was young, I couldn’t