Skip to main content

a fear of self

I’ve met a lot people in this world and one of the most interesting aspects of someone is what they are afraid of.  I’ve come across some crazy ones that I just can’t explain (feathers, butterflies, da gubment), and a couple I can sort of see (clowns, wasps).

My biggest fear is not quite a phobia because it isn’t a fear of something concrete.  I’m actually scared of losing my mind. 
If you read my blog (and you are a smartass) you might say the process has already begun, but bear with me.  The blog actually lets me get things off my chest which an overactive mind needs to do from time to time.  Also, if I do lose my shit one day, we can all go back in my blog and see what you fuckers did that made me nuts.

Anyhoo, back to me.  These are a few reasons why I’m afraid I might go crazy.

Reason #1:  I don’t think I’m normal

                I embrace my oddity, I really do, but I wish more people could empathize with me when I get upset about things.  The whole world is either entirely too fucking passive or I might need to learn to chill out a bit more.  My money is on the former.

Reason #2:  It won’t shut up

                I’m always thinking about something.  Often it is completely unrelated to the task at hand.  I can be thinking about my blog while I’m cooking or wondering about what to wear to work while I’m changing my oil.  I suppose that it’s a gift and a curse to be able to have your mind on two things at once.  My music doesn’t distract me while driving and it allows me to play videogames and have a rational conversation at the same time.  However, it does make me wonder if maybe one day the thoughts may become more important than the job at hand.  I don’t want to be one of those people that can’t manage the world around them because they’ve lost the ability to accomplish menial tasks and follow instructions (not that I care to be good at either of those at this point but it’s nice to know I can do it).

Reason #3:  Self medication

                I have yet to hear a doctor say “Whoo, thank goodness you’re self-medicated!”  Also, my personal medication of choice is liquor.  Liquor slows my brain down and I can relax… and also dance all night.  That’s the win-win.  I would smoke weed but it’s such a friggin hassle to buy it, hide it, then find a safe place to smoke it.  Why do all that when I can just go the liquor store?

Reason #4:  The Fly effect

                My favorite part of the re-make of “The Fly” was when Geena Davis tells Jeff Goldblum that he’s getting worse and he replies “I’m getting better.”  That’s sort of where I’m at now.  Instead of working on what worries me, I kinda keep feeding the beast.  I keep reading, keep my brain with stimulus all day long so I keep lying awake at night and waking up in the morning with a clenched jaw because the crazy has seeped into my dreams.  All this just to drink on the weekend to gather enough strength to start anew on Monday.  I’m sure this sort of turning in to the skid is the way people end up in the looney bin.

My saving grace is that crazy people don’t worry about being crazy.  They actually think Jesus lives above the ceiling in the bathroom and wants them to kill the old lady next door.  I just think female soldiers shouldn’t have to worry about being raped and that people should get paid a living wage… you know stupid shit like that.  That’s what keeps me up at night.
Maybe I’ll go into politics, that’s where we put the crazy people these days anyway.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

There's gold in them thar crates

Right now I’m listening to Camp Lo’s Uptown Saturday Night.   I don’t know how much play this album got around the nation when it dropped in 1997, but it didn’t get any love in Kansas City, but If you haven’t heard, it is the shit! I don’t know when it became the general consensus that rap music that didn’t come out in the last 6 months isn’t good but we have to remember hip-hop’s history of being the product of people that were willing to dig in those crates. Bargain bins at the used CD store, garage sales and amazon.com all have great CDs that you never heard.   Not to mention all of those CDs with 2 or 3 great songs on them. My point is that great music doesn’t have a shelf life.   Just because Kanye and Jay-Z keep coming out with hits doesn’t mean Reasonable Doubt and The College Dropout aren’t great CDs.   It’s just the opposite.   There has been a long time since somebody referred to a rap album that is universally referred to as a classic.   Think about it.   There have

I'm going to get myself killed

I’m not suicidal or anything.   I just tend to forget to protect myself.   I don’t even get scared when things get real.   I remember distinctly the first time I saw someone try to kill someone else. Me and the boys were partaking in our favorite pastime; playing football in the street.   It was around the time we were all in middle school so I was around 12 years old.   I had probably just passed the 100 lbs. mark.   It was like any other afternoon in the summer but suddenly some man came running up the street.   Something was off about him.   He was running too hard.   He wasn’t even running that fast but you could tell he was trying his heart out.   Just as he was turning the corner at the end of the block, we found out why.   Another man came up the hill behind us as we watched the running man go.   He wasn’t running either.   He had more of a brisk walk.   When he got far enough over the slope of the hill he raised his right arm, took aim and fired three shots while he was
Maury must be stopped. No one has profited more from Black people being ignorant than he.   I know the old saying: “Mama’s baby, Papa’s maybe.” But, contrary to popular belief, Black men love their children.   Everyone loves children.   Even if Black men realize that they aren’t bringing much to a household, they know that there is magic there.   That magic might be scary, like all magic, but it’s there.   There isn’t much difference between the love that develops between a man and a child with his D.N.A.   and a man that a child that he has raised. I am my father’s son.   No, I’m not light skinned or a hustler, but I laugh when I hear something funny.   I’ll sit on a porch and dink liquor all Saturday morning.   My toes are extraordinarily long (just like his).   I will see a beautiful woman and take notice just because I am a man and that’s what a man does.   My dad raised me well. When you see a Black man on Maury, you know he is going to be running from the responsibil