Skip to main content

For my friends that considered suicide when having a nigga in your corner isn't enough

I remember wanting to die.  I didn't want to kill myself per se, I just wished that I could just go the fuck away.  I was a young, skinny teenager that wasn't looking forward to anything outside of video games.  What kind of life is that?

But teenage life is always stupid.  When the lead actor is phoning it in, the play sucks.  That is teenage life in America.  I wish I could say that only teenagers go dark enough to want to die but we all know that is not true.  Life gets so much harder for people that dare to be an adult.

As an adult, I get reminded of my younger years because shit still gets dark.  When I feel that kind of hopelessness, I still remember the fire that gets lit inside of me.  My ability to say "Fuck all of these people." is my super power.  It is a necessary tool for me.  When all the love I try to spread around begins to fail that flaming hatred for those that I let push me there always comes back.  Somehow, it brings the rest of me with it.

It's funny.  People say that love will see us through but that isn't true.  Love gets you cut deeper than anything.  That hatred is a weapon that can get your ass powered up.

But, I don't want to talk about rage.  I want to talk about us; more importantly, you.

It's easy to see people that are hurting when you've been through the same thing.  I saw you when your isolation from your siblings turned you in to an alcoholic.  I saw you when you moved to NYC and that constant pressure pushed you to your breaking point.  I watched you through your divorce.  I even saw you when your boyfriend beat you and you brought him around me and I didn't kill his ass the way I should have.  I returned the smile when you didn't feel free to express your sexuality.  When you were just plain tired of it all, my 'HBD' post on your birthday didn't mean a thing.

I'm sorry for that.

I'm sorry that I didn't play the hero and try to save you.

You see, I saved myself.  I have a tendency to expect that everyone can do the things that I do without help.  That's wrong.

I know that you would have pushed me away if I called you out because that is what I would have done in your shoes.  But, you would have known that somebody cared, and that is where I failed you.  Even when you don't take the support, there is comfort in knowing that is there.

So, hey, I'm here.

I'm not perfect.  I might try to fill you with tequila and tacos then beat your ass in video games but I want you to know there is love between my words.  I care.  I always cared but I'm not always so great at it.

I wish that I could tell you that it will pass but I'm not a fucking genie.  You might need to make better life choices, get off the sauce or maybe stop fucking racist White women.

But I won't judge (that's a lie).  I just want you to know that I'm here if you ever need to talk or just go get a drink or just sit in silence when you shouldn't be alone.

The truth is, you're not alone.

Feeling alone is the best demon of them all and you've felt it the same way that I do from time to time but just like the devil, that demon is a liar.

The truth is that I'm here.  I got issues, as you well know, but I'm here and you are here.  That means we ouchea.  If you are going through it, WE are going through it so just let me know if there is something that I can do.

In most instances there is nothing that I can do but be there.  That being said, I'm here; loving you. I don't want to cry my eyes out at your funeral. I'd rather drink cheap beer at your pity party.

One last truth: I need you.  It's selfish but you make my life better and I don't wan't to hear that you're gone, even if the extent of our relationship is reading each other's tweets. 

Humans rely on each other.  You may not rely on me the way I rely on you but when I let you down, I let myself down.  Don't let me let myself down.  I'm trying to be happy.  I'll be happier if you come with.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

There's gold in them thar crates

Right now I’m listening to Camp Lo’s Uptown Saturday Night.   I don’t know how much play this album got around the nation when it dropped in 1997, but it didn’t get any love in Kansas City, but If you haven’t heard, it is the shit! I don’t know when it became the general consensus that rap music that didn’t come out in the last 6 months isn’t good but we have to remember hip-hop’s history of being the product of people that were willing to dig in those crates. Bargain bins at the used CD store, garage sales and amazon.com all have great CDs that you never heard.   Not to mention all of those CDs with 2 or 3 great songs on them. My point is that great music doesn’t have a shelf life.   Just because Kanye and Jay-Z keep coming out with hits doesn’t mean Reasonable Doubt and The College Dropout aren’t great CDs.   It’s just the opposite.   There has been a long time since somebody referred to a rap album that is universally referred to as a classic.   Think about it.   There have

I'm going to get myself killed

I’m not suicidal or anything.   I just tend to forget to protect myself.   I don’t even get scared when things get real.   I remember distinctly the first time I saw someone try to kill someone else. Me and the boys were partaking in our favorite pastime; playing football in the street.   It was around the time we were all in middle school so I was around 12 years old.   I had probably just passed the 100 lbs. mark.   It was like any other afternoon in the summer but suddenly some man came running up the street.   Something was off about him.   He was running too hard.   He wasn’t even running that fast but you could tell he was trying his heart out.   Just as he was turning the corner at the end of the block, we found out why.   Another man came up the hill behind us as we watched the running man go.   He wasn’t running either.   He had more of a brisk walk.   When he got far enough over the slope of the hill he raised his right arm, took aim and fired three shots while he was
Maury must be stopped. No one has profited more from Black people being ignorant than he.   I know the old saying: “Mama’s baby, Papa’s maybe.” But, contrary to popular belief, Black men love their children.   Everyone loves children.   Even if Black men realize that they aren’t bringing much to a household, they know that there is magic there.   That magic might be scary, like all magic, but it’s there.   There isn’t much difference between the love that develops between a man and a child with his D.N.A.   and a man that a child that he has raised. I am my father’s son.   No, I’m not light skinned or a hustler, but I laugh when I hear something funny.   I’ll sit on a porch and dink liquor all Saturday morning.   My toes are extraordinarily long (just like his).   I will see a beautiful woman and take notice just because I am a man and that’s what a man does.   My dad raised me well. When you see a Black man on Maury, you know he is going to be running from the responsibil