Skip to main content

Bald is Beautiful



The summer of 1998 was a good time for me.  I had just graduated from high school.  I was soon headed to the University of Kansas for my freshman year and I had begun that elusive growth spurt that everyone else in my class ended 2 years before.  Yeah, life was looking up. (Still no women though)

There was one battle that I was continuing to lose, though.  My hair was still rather unruly.  It might be odd for you to think of a Black man with bad hair but trust me on this one.  Some of it is curly, some of it is downright nappy and some of it even has the nerve to be straight.  As if that wasn’t enough, I have a second hair swirl.  I have one in the back and another that shifts the direction of my hair in the front suddenly to the right which means when my hair is low, it looks like I’m attempting some sort of comb-over.  It takes excessive brushing and plenty of Murray’s (find a hood friend if you are not sure what Murray’s is) to correct it. It is the main reason why simply going to the barber shop every so often wasn’t a viable solution to the problem.

And that’s still not even the whole issue.  You give my hair a good two to three hours in direct sunlight and it starts turning red.  Which means in the Summer time, as my skin gets darker my hair gets lighter; which makes me look even darker.  Nowadays that doesn’t bother me but I was born in ‘80 and raised in the 90’s back when El Debarge looking ass niggas got all the girls.

So anyway, back in the summer of ’98 I was headed to my uncle’s house.  He was my barber, probably since I was old enough to get haircuts.  The reason that I went to my uncle was that he had no problem cutting my hair for free.  Unfortunately he was also an alcoholic.  That meant if you got in the chair and there was a line, or it was after about 11a.m., your hair line was about to get FUCKED up.  

That one particular day, I made it in plenty of time.  It had been a while since I had a cut and as usual, I looked a royal mess.  My uncle asked me if I wanted the normal cut and that is what I had planned the whole time that I was driving over there but after so many years of looking at this mess on my head I needed a change.  Surprising myself, I said “take it all off”.

My uncle looked at me and repeated.  “Take it all off?”  I said yeah and sat my ass in the chair without further conversation.  There was a big mirror so people could watch the progress but that day My Uncle seemed to always have me facing away from it.  He would cut a little, drink a little, cut a little, drink a little and suddenly he was done.  The floor and the apron were covered with hair with varying degrees of curliness and my uncle spun me toward the mirror…

I couldn’t believe it.  Growing up skinny, dark and nappy headed I would avoid the mirror unless I was brushing my teeth but that day I looked deeply at myself and couldn’t stop smiling.  I didn’t see anything that I didn’t want there.  It was like for the first time I could see myself.  I had no complaints and I’ve basically been shaving my head ever since.

Oh, I’ve gone through growing the hair out from time to time.  I even had cornrows and an afro but it never lasted much longer than a year.  The only real time my hair had any length was when my good friend and frat brother went to Iraq and I went on haircut strike until he came back.  I remember that after he came back I was bored one night and went to CVS, bought a perm kit and put it in.  It was pretty hilarious.  I looked sort of like James Brown’s arrest photo.  The creamy crack is definitely not for me.

Even with hair.  When I look into the mirror, I still see the bald me.  It is a rare thing that people these days have a positive self image.  Even the most groomed of us are that way because they are constantly seeing their ugliness in the mirror.  I lived that way until I made one gutsy call at the barber shop one Saturday and never looked back.

So what have we learned?  I guess the lesson here is that sometimes it takes a while to find the look that you like and you can’t be afraid to go for something drastic.  What matters is that person you see in the mirror.  If you don’t like it, fuck whoever that does.  Keep trying until you see yourself even if you have to go all the way back to nothingness and go from there.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

There's gold in them thar crates

Right now I’m listening to Camp Lo’s Uptown Saturday Night.   I don’t know how much play this album got around the nation when it dropped in 1997, but it didn’t get any love in Kansas City, but If you haven’t heard, it is the shit! I don’t know when it became the general consensus that rap music that didn’t come out in the last 6 months isn’t good but we have to remember hip-hop’s history of being the product of people that were willing to dig in those crates. Bargain bins at the used CD store, garage sales and amazon.com all have great CDs that you never heard.   Not to mention all of those CDs with 2 or 3 great songs on them. My point is that great music doesn’t have a shelf life.   Just because Kanye and Jay-Z keep coming out with hits doesn’t mean Reasonable Doubt and The College Dropout aren’t great CDs.   It’s just the opposite.   There has been a long time since somebody referred to a rap album that is universally referred to as a classic.   Think about it.   There have

I'm going to get myself killed

I’m not suicidal or anything.   I just tend to forget to protect myself.   I don’t even get scared when things get real.   I remember distinctly the first time I saw someone try to kill someone else. Me and the boys were partaking in our favorite pastime; playing football in the street.   It was around the time we were all in middle school so I was around 12 years old.   I had probably just passed the 100 lbs. mark.   It was like any other afternoon in the summer but suddenly some man came running up the street.   Something was off about him.   He was running too hard.   He wasn’t even running that fast but you could tell he was trying his heart out.   Just as he was turning the corner at the end of the block, we found out why.   Another man came up the hill behind us as we watched the running man go.   He wasn’t running either.   He had more of a brisk walk.   When he got far enough over the slope of the hill he raised his right arm, took aim and fired three shots while he was

R.I.P. Rusty Hayes

Pretty soon here I’m going to say goodbye to my dad.   I suppose that I already have.   When I walked into the place where he lived and saw him there, dead, with his mouth cocked open in a very strange angle, I realized that I had been saying goodbye to my dad for some time now.   That body that laid there in the nursing home did not resonate my father at all. You see, my dad was a big guy.   Always was to me.   That body there was emaciated and small; so much not the powerful figure that I remember. When I was younger, I remember how much I wanted to grow up to look like my dad.   He was muscular, handsome and light skinned and I was anything but (I still have beef with every negro that got blessed with being light skinned in the ‘90s).   The best thing about my dad, though, is that he had a serious thirst for life.   He always laughed so hard that you had to turn around and wonder what the fuck was going on over there that was so damned funny.   When I was young, I couldn’t