Skip to main content

A Girl's Daddy


I’ve been a dad for nearly a day and a half and I’m already exhausted.  My daughter has little regard for day and night.  My daughter… It’s still really funny to me to say that.

I know I wrote on my last blog that newborn babies are ugly and…. Well that’s still true, BUT that doesn’t mean that they aren’t precious.  My daughter is the most beautiful little person I’ve ever laid my eyes on.  She gave me the beginnings of a smile today and blew me away.  I knew I was got when I thought it was cute when she took a poo while I was changing her diaper.  Somehow in the span of 24 hours, doo doo became cute.

Must be love.

There are some other weird things going through my head as I look forward to raising a baby girl:

Is this going to change my view of sluts and strippers?  At least 18 years ago, all those women were somebody’s little girl.  I would hate for my baby to have the same fate.  Then again, I want my baby to know she is loved and for her to love herself.  That seems to be step one in stopping a young girl from working the pole for a living.  I don’t know how to force a woman to love herself but if my baby knows one thing, it’s that her daddy loves her.  That’s literally half the battle.  Secondly, I won’t have a relationship with sluts anytime anyway.  I’m married for crying out loud.  That ship has sailed.

I admit that it will be harder to objectify women.  However, I’ve been working on that for 10 years now.  Sounds good all around.

Another thing, I realize that there is very little chance of me to be any help with girly problems.  That is, unless she plans on never having any suitors.  I mean, I already have a problem comparing people my age with myself.  If my daughter comes to me about some boy problem, my only answer right now is “Tell him to stop being a bitch ass nigga.”  That may not work so well every time.

Lastly, I realize that I’m well on the way to being wrapped around her little finger.  That’s a foregone conclusion.  What I ponder is whether or not that is such a terrible thing.  It takes a real man to show love.  I love my baby so I’m going to show it every chance I get.  Of course, my honesty does tend to show my capacity for harshness from time to time.  I better start working on that now.  I got no clue how to be tough yet loving quite yet.  Hopefully I will just go with loving, ya know, to be safe.

Welp, I better steal a quick nap while I can.  I have somebody’s relationship with men to shape in the morning.  I should probably be rested up for that.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

There's gold in them thar crates

Right now I’m listening to Camp Lo’s Uptown Saturday Night.   I don’t know how much play this album got around the nation when it dropped in 1997, but it didn’t get any love in Kansas City, but If you haven’t heard, it is the shit! I don’t know when it became the general consensus that rap music that didn’t come out in the last 6 months isn’t good but we have to remember hip-hop’s history of being the product of people that were willing to dig in those crates. Bargain bins at the used CD store, garage sales and amazon.com all have great CDs that you never heard.   Not to mention all of those CDs with 2 or 3 great songs on them. My point is that great music doesn’t have a shelf life.   Just because Kanye and Jay-Z keep coming out with hits doesn’t mean Reasonable Doubt and The College Dropout aren’t great CDs.   It’s just the opposite.   There has been a long time since somebody referred to a rap album that is universally referred to as a classic.   Think about it.   There have
Maury must be stopped. No one has profited more from Black people being ignorant than he.   I know the old saying: “Mama’s baby, Papa’s maybe.” But, contrary to popular belief, Black men love their children.   Everyone loves children.   Even if Black men realize that they aren’t bringing much to a household, they know that there is magic there.   That magic might be scary, like all magic, but it’s there.   There isn’t much difference between the love that develops between a man and a child with his D.N.A.   and a man that a child that he has raised. I am my father’s son.   No, I’m not light skinned or a hustler, but I laugh when I hear something funny.   I’ll sit on a porch and dink liquor all Saturday morning.   My toes are extraordinarily long (just like his).   I will see a beautiful woman and take notice just because I am a man and that’s what a man does.   My dad raised me well. When you see a Black man on Maury, you know he is going to be running from the responsibil

R.I.P. Rusty Hayes

Pretty soon here I’m going to say goodbye to my dad.   I suppose that I already have.   When I walked into the place where he lived and saw him there, dead, with his mouth cocked open in a very strange angle, I realized that I had been saying goodbye to my dad for some time now.   That body that laid there in the nursing home did not resonate my father at all. You see, my dad was a big guy.   Always was to me.   That body there was emaciated and small; so much not the powerful figure that I remember. When I was younger, I remember how much I wanted to grow up to look like my dad.   He was muscular, handsome and light skinned and I was anything but (I still have beef with every negro that got blessed with being light skinned in the ‘90s).   The best thing about my dad, though, is that he had a serious thirst for life.   He always laughed so hard that you had to turn around and wonder what the fuck was going on over there that was so damned funny.   When I was young, I couldn’t