Skip to main content

Life and beaches


When I go to heaven, I hope I get some real estate on a beach.  Shit, I hope everyone does.

There are two conflicting feelings when you sit on a beach; hearing the roar of the waves, feeling the spray of the ocean spray on your body.

There’s that sense that the power of Earth and the power of its creator is so much bigger and better than you.  You understand your insignificance in an ever moving reality that is so uncompromisingly beautiful.  That’s not even considering the beautiful women that tend to populate the beaches. 

There’s also a feeling of being one with that power.  It’s like you are a part of that strength and that awesome power is somewhere inside of you.  It makes you feel like you are adding something to the scene.

There are three major players that you watch unfold perfection at the edge of the sea.  There is a beautiful sky that seems infinite.  Its beauty seems to reveal more colors that your eye can comprehend. When you gaze upon the sky you are instantly aware that you are nothing against it.  It doesn’t intimidate you though.  It is a reminder that power exists and power can be a beautiful thing.

Then there’s the roar of the sea.  The waves are constantly reaching for you; not to harm but to feel you so that you can feel coolness that exist against the sun.  The waves roar constantly.  When you have to talk to someone on the beach you have to talk like you’re wearing headphones.  The love the ocean has to share with you is so great in comparison to your mere words.  What could you ever say that compares to the way a wave can lift you at one point and gently place you in another?  The ocean hugs you, lifts you and places you at the perfect spot like your lover that has seen you for the first time in a long trip.

Lastly, there is the sand.  One piece is meaningless.  You inhale one and bemoan the fact that it got stuck in your teeth.  Trillions of little pieces stand together and complete the impossible task of holding back the mighty sea and holding up the sky at the same time.  But when you try to locate the place where the sand meets the ocean, it’s never the same place.  The ocean seems to soak into the sand and the sand seems to force it back out.  The constant ocean wind is a reminder that the sky doesn’t begin where the blue starts but where your face ends.  The sand is a collection of pieces that are nothing.  Tiny pieces against two giants yet it is so soft.  You walk on it and it seems to grab your toes, just for a short massage.

Earth, sky and ocean (not to mention half dressed people) meet on the beach to show all their glory.  You’d think that there would be competition but there is none.  The sky says to the ocean that ‘We should forever embrace.’  The land says to the ocean that ‘We only are only important next to one another, when we lie under the sky.’  The people say ‘how lucky are we to be here and sit in the midst of all this love.’

We lay on the beach and can’t resist the urge to take off our clothes.  There is so much love there.  There is no love cruder than naked human bodies so it is only appropriate.  People don’t come to the beach to be sexy, they come to be beautiful. 

The sky, water and earth meet on the beach to enjoy each other’s company. Then there’s you, standing there in the presence of greatness.  You are an audience for the wonders of the world and it feels like this has all been put together just for you.  You can’t help but to think how lucky you are to be alive in such a place. For a short time in my life I got to enjoy that feeling.

What’s better, I got to enjoy that feeling with friends.  Friendship made that feeling of being in the presence of serenity even greater.  I want to send a thank you to all of my friends that I’ve shared a beach with:  Eric, Moreno, Tangie, Kalynda, Brittany, Alberta, Shane, JJ, Dana and my beautiful wife Jessica.  I hope that we can all do it again.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

There's gold in them thar crates

Right now I’m listening to Camp Lo’s Uptown Saturday Night.   I don’t know how much play this album got around the nation when it dropped in 1997, but it didn’t get any love in Kansas City, but If you haven’t heard, it is the shit! I don’t know when it became the general consensus that rap music that didn’t come out in the last 6 months isn’t good but we have to remember hip-hop’s history of being the product of people that were willing to dig in those crates. Bargain bins at the used CD store, garage sales and amazon.com all have great CDs that you never heard.   Not to mention all of those CDs with 2 or 3 great songs on them. My point is that great music doesn’t have a shelf life.   Just because Kanye and Jay-Z keep coming out with hits doesn’t mean Reasonable Doubt and The College Dropout aren’t great CDs.   It’s just the opposite.   There has been a long time since somebody referred to a rap album that is universally referred to as a classic.   Think about it.   There have
Maury must be stopped. No one has profited more from Black people being ignorant than he.   I know the old saying: “Mama’s baby, Papa’s maybe.” But, contrary to popular belief, Black men love their children.   Everyone loves children.   Even if Black men realize that they aren’t bringing much to a household, they know that there is magic there.   That magic might be scary, like all magic, but it’s there.   There isn’t much difference between the love that develops between a man and a child with his D.N.A.   and a man that a child that he has raised. I am my father’s son.   No, I’m not light skinned or a hustler, but I laugh when I hear something funny.   I’ll sit on a porch and dink liquor all Saturday morning.   My toes are extraordinarily long (just like his).   I will see a beautiful woman and take notice just because I am a man and that’s what a man does.   My dad raised me well. When you see a Black man on Maury, you know he is going to be running from the responsibil

R.I.P. Rusty Hayes

Pretty soon here I’m going to say goodbye to my dad.   I suppose that I already have.   When I walked into the place where he lived and saw him there, dead, with his mouth cocked open in a very strange angle, I realized that I had been saying goodbye to my dad for some time now.   That body that laid there in the nursing home did not resonate my father at all. You see, my dad was a big guy.   Always was to me.   That body there was emaciated and small; so much not the powerful figure that I remember. When I was younger, I remember how much I wanted to grow up to look like my dad.   He was muscular, handsome and light skinned and I was anything but (I still have beef with every negro that got blessed with being light skinned in the ‘90s).   The best thing about my dad, though, is that he had a serious thirst for life.   He always laughed so hard that you had to turn around and wonder what the fuck was going on over there that was so damned funny.   When I was young, I couldn’t