Skip to main content

Black like Cogito

So, I’m watching Henry Louis Gates’ “Finding Your Roots”.  First of all, I’m surprised and a little disappointed that they never use the word “rapist”.  Seriously, let’s just call it like it is.  I don’t want to harp on it because this part of American history actually disgusts me.  Just thinking of someone being attacked and raped just because they have my skin tone is revolting.

Me and those women have shared a planet and a plane of existence and if it wasn’t for that amount of abuse and trauma, none of my family would never had made it to this point.  It sucks that so many people had to be beaten, sold, raped, and killed just so I can breathe on God’s beautiful earth.

I might complain about my life but I don’t doubt that it is a beautiful blessing which was hard earned by my mother, father and a myriad other people.  I also pay respect to all those Irish men and women that suffered through dealing with the English long enough to get chocolate fever across the pond.

What I’m getting at is that it is hard to get your hands on any kind of historical blackness.  If anything, blackness is something that is rooted in modernity.  Our history has been destroyed and a part of being black is to put an emphasis on being here now. 
I love hip-hop as a culture.  Part of that culture is being alive and loving it right here and right now.  I wonder if that is because I don’t have too much connection with Africa.
Hip-hop is an inherently American culture.  Sometimes it is more un-American, meaning that it is a contrast to the mainstream American way, but there is something in hip-hop that comes from the American dream.
Hip-hop is proof that those that have been denied their piece of America know that they have as much right to it as any white Anglo-Saxon Protestant.  I can really identify with the “what about us” element of hip-hop but there is also the part of me that says I don’t want to be a part of American history that murdered so many native Americans, enslaved so many Africans and African Americans and vaporized all those Japanese.
America has a history of violence and it’s hard to accept that I can live today as well as I do because of so much suffering.  I can only imagine the “white guilt” that white people get that realize the atrocities it took to lead to such opulence.
Somehow, I don’t believe that most white people go through this kind of understanding.  I really wish most of them would so that we would stop bounding down the same path.  Our “War on Terror” has those same imperialist undertones and our debates on immigration reform are nothing but thinly veiled attempts at resurrecting Jim Crow America targeted at lighter brown people.

I am an American.  Whatever is done in the name of America is done in my name and I have a big time problem with most of the shit that we Americans sign off on, particularly our disdain for history.  My Mom, grandma and great grandma got treated like shit so I can move forward in this country.  I have a problem with that.  I really think that anyone that calls themselves an American should too.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

There's gold in them thar crates

Right now I’m listening to Camp Lo’s Uptown Saturday Night.   I don’t know how much play this album got around the nation when it dropped in 1997, but it didn’t get any love in Kansas City, but If you haven’t heard, it is the shit! I don’t know when it became the general consensus that rap music that didn’t come out in the last 6 months isn’t good but we have to remember hip-hop’s history of being the product of people that were willing to dig in those crates. Bargain bins at the used CD store, garage sales and amazon.com all have great CDs that you never heard.   Not to mention all of those CDs with 2 or 3 great songs on them. My point is that great music doesn’t have a shelf life.   Just because Kanye and Jay-Z keep coming out with hits doesn’t mean Reasonable Doubt and The College Dropout aren’t great CDs.   It’s just the opposite.   There has been a long time since somebody referred to a rap album that is universally referred to as a classic.   Think about it.   There have

I'm going to get myself killed

I’m not suicidal or anything.   I just tend to forget to protect myself.   I don’t even get scared when things get real.   I remember distinctly the first time I saw someone try to kill someone else. Me and the boys were partaking in our favorite pastime; playing football in the street.   It was around the time we were all in middle school so I was around 12 years old.   I had probably just passed the 100 lbs. mark.   It was like any other afternoon in the summer but suddenly some man came running up the street.   Something was off about him.   He was running too hard.   He wasn’t even running that fast but you could tell he was trying his heart out.   Just as he was turning the corner at the end of the block, we found out why.   Another man came up the hill behind us as we watched the running man go.   He wasn’t running either.   He had more of a brisk walk.   When he got far enough over the slope of the hill he raised his right arm, took aim and fired three shots while he was
Maury must be stopped. No one has profited more from Black people being ignorant than he.   I know the old saying: “Mama’s baby, Papa’s maybe.” But, contrary to popular belief, Black men love their children.   Everyone loves children.   Even if Black men realize that they aren’t bringing much to a household, they know that there is magic there.   That magic might be scary, like all magic, but it’s there.   There isn’t much difference between the love that develops between a man and a child with his D.N.A.   and a man that a child that he has raised. I am my father’s son.   No, I’m not light skinned or a hustler, but I laugh when I hear something funny.   I’ll sit on a porch and dink liquor all Saturday morning.   My toes are extraordinarily long (just like his).   I will see a beautiful woman and take notice just because I am a man and that’s what a man does.   My dad raised me well. When you see a Black man on Maury, you know he is going to be running from the responsibil