Skip to main content

I am not a racist

I had a strange thing happen to me Saturday night.  Within about 3 hours I got called an Uncle Tom and a racist.  While being called "Tom" was a joke, the charges of being a racist were not.

Still, I can't dismiss the "Tom".  Several White people have told me that I am "not really Black".  I have also had people tell me what a great Black guy I am.  Now, first things first, I define what blackness is, it isn't the other way around.  I'm sure some Black people fall victim to believing that the images of ignorance in the media is how they are suppose to behave.  That sort of blackness is brought to you by people that want to profit from it.  You know, like masta' used to.

White people see this stuff and think Black people are supposed to be ignorant and party all of the time.  You know, like masta' used to.  How exactly does a White person judge how Black someone is?  How the hell do Black people do it?  When you start associating blackness with ignorance, that makes you a racist.  When Black people do it, it makes you a sellout.

Secondly, how am I supposed to respond to someone congratulating me on how good a "Black guy" I am?  Apparently being a black guy and just a regular guy has two different criteria.  Honestly, when somebody says that, they are admitting that they don't see me in the same light that they see themselves, which makes them a racist.  What's crazy is, when people have said that about me, it made me want to go out and do some stereotypical nigga shit; like impregnate a stranger. 

Don't get me wrong.  We live in a racist country;  always have.  But at what point did we decide that we've reached an acceptable level of racism?  1965?

We have a Black man in the highest office in the WORLD and what do White folks do?  Treat him like a nigga.  He gets talked down to in damn near every interview he has with an older White man.  He gets punked by Bill O'Riley.  He gets punked by Benjamin Netanyahu.  He has some dipshet in the house interrupt him during the State of the Union address.  He has some useless Governor talk down to him on the tarmac and a public University refused to give him an honorary doctorate because "he hadn't accomplished enough".  I guess becoming the 44th president of the United States doesn't mean shit in Arizona.  We should have known where this was going when Chief Justice John Roberts "accidentally" messed up the words to the inauguration.

I'm pointing this all out because I get called a racist mainly because I tend to call people out when they are being racist.  It's like there is a line when you can call out racism that isn't drawn where I see it.

I understand that some people are just assholes.  Some people are not being crazy because I'm Black, they are like that because they are jerks.  You have to understand that Black people (like me) are used to identifying racism.  It going to take a while for us to cut the world some slack.

Inversely, White America is used to being racist.  This country was built on the supremacy of the White man.  Indians? Kill 'em.  Mexican?  Kill 'em.  Niggers?  Make 'em do all the work if they act up, kill 'em.  Oh, and don't forget to rape anything that walks.

Some people are going to read this as me being racist against White people but ,not white-washing history isn't the same as unwarranted hatred.

I don't even hate White people.  There are tons of them I care about.  I even have a few White home boys and a bunch of White ex-girlfriends (yeeaahhh!!!).  I believe in the humanity of all people on the same level.  When someone proves that they don't see the same way, someone else has to point out their error or the continued xenophobia in the country will forever perpetuate.

When I call White people out for bull shitting, I am not being racist.  I'm just trying to help. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

There's gold in them thar crates

Right now I’m listening to Camp Lo’s Uptown Saturday Night.   I don’t know how much play this album got around the nation when it dropped in 1997, but it didn’t get any love in Kansas City, but If you haven’t heard, it is the shit! I don’t know when it became the general consensus that rap music that didn’t come out in the last 6 months isn’t good but we have to remember hip-hop’s history of being the product of people that were willing to dig in those crates. Bargain bins at the used CD store, garage sales and amazon.com all have great CDs that you never heard.   Not to mention all of those CDs with 2 or 3 great songs on them. My point is that great music doesn’t have a shelf life.   Just because Kanye and Jay-Z keep coming out with hits doesn’t mean Reasonable Doubt and The College Dropout aren’t great CDs.   It’s just the opposite.   There has been a long time since somebody referred to a rap album that is universally referred to as a classic.   Think about it.   There have
Maury must be stopped. No one has profited more from Black people being ignorant than he.   I know the old saying: “Mama’s baby, Papa’s maybe.” But, contrary to popular belief, Black men love their children.   Everyone loves children.   Even if Black men realize that they aren’t bringing much to a household, they know that there is magic there.   That magic might be scary, like all magic, but it’s there.   There isn’t much difference between the love that develops between a man and a child with his D.N.A.   and a man that a child that he has raised. I am my father’s son.   No, I’m not light skinned or a hustler, but I laugh when I hear something funny.   I’ll sit on a porch and dink liquor all Saturday morning.   My toes are extraordinarily long (just like his).   I will see a beautiful woman and take notice just because I am a man and that’s what a man does.   My dad raised me well. When you see a Black man on Maury, you know he is going to be running from the responsibil

R.I.P. Rusty Hayes

Pretty soon here I’m going to say goodbye to my dad.   I suppose that I already have.   When I walked into the place where he lived and saw him there, dead, with his mouth cocked open in a very strange angle, I realized that I had been saying goodbye to my dad for some time now.   That body that laid there in the nursing home did not resonate my father at all. You see, my dad was a big guy.   Always was to me.   That body there was emaciated and small; so much not the powerful figure that I remember. When I was younger, I remember how much I wanted to grow up to look like my dad.   He was muscular, handsome and light skinned and I was anything but (I still have beef with every negro that got blessed with being light skinned in the ‘90s).   The best thing about my dad, though, is that he had a serious thirst for life.   He always laughed so hard that you had to turn around and wonder what the fuck was going on over there that was so damned funny.   When I was young, I couldn’t