Skip to main content

An Odd Problem

Last Sunday was Easter.  A lot of you went to church and looked either ridiculous or outlandishly attractive for people celebrating our favorite nigga's return from the grave.  I had something even more interesting on the schedule.  I was going to see a family member that recently got out of jail that had been there his entire adult life.

I'll spare you the family drama but a little back story:  Said family member is about my age and a man.  End back story.

Now, as these things tend to be awkward, it totally wasn't.  Everyone enjoyed it and some rather interesting shit happened.

Fam and I began to chat because, like our lord, I tend to have conversations with niggas with questionable back stories.  Now, I'm quite used to chatting it up with jail niggas even though they have some interesting theories about life so I was prepared for whatever.  He asked me what I was doing with myself and I replied that I was a regular working ass negro, and he replied "Well you look happy."  I thought about it for a second, and shit, this nigga might be right (score one for jail niggas).

All the rest of the night this was on my brain and I could not find the lie.  I've been waking up early and exercising... going to work on time... gleefully playing with the kids... looking at the wife's booty like a hungry hyena... holy fuck, I might be happy.

What the fuck am I supposed to do with this new information?  I don't even like happy ass niggas.  I seriously wonder if maybe I should change my regimen or outfits or some shit?  How the hell does one make it from 1990s Ice Cube to 2010s Ice cube?

Seriously, how the fuck did I get here?  After 36+ years on this earth did I finally figure the correct amount of fucks to give about various things.  Because, make no mistake.  I did not hit the lottery.  Mariah Carey isn't my side chick, I still feel the need to be smarter about random shit, and there will always be housework and bills on bills on bills but, shit, for some crazy reason I feel like all of things are either being worked on or are in their appropriate realm of fantasy (eat a dick at Dick's Sports' changing rooms, clogged gutters).

Maybe it's that infectious baby that ALWAYS smiles when she sees me or that pay raise I just got.  Maybe it's the home runs that Xbox live keeps hitting with the free game downloads.  Surely it isn't the political climate, even though it is fun to watch half of white people be so mad at the other half of white people.

The shit is just weird, guys, but I hope it keeps going.  Fuck, it's Monday, I just gave my wife my debit card, my back is doing something weird and you know what?  I just want to watch LeBron James depress the city of Indianapolis again.

I know.  It's an odd problem to have but I don't know what to do with a happy cogito.  Maybe it means more blog posts or healthy eating.  Maybe it will mean kharma's bitch ass will start paying back on dem loans it fucking owes me.  All I know is that it worked today and the forecast for tomorrow looks nice as fuck.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

There's gold in them thar crates

Right now I’m listening to Camp Lo’s Uptown Saturday Night.   I don’t know how much play this album got around the nation when it dropped in 1997, but it didn’t get any love in Kansas City, but If you haven’t heard, it is the shit! I don’t know when it became the general consensus that rap music that didn’t come out in the last 6 months isn’t good but we have to remember hip-hop’s history of being the product of people that were willing to dig in those crates. Bargain bins at the used CD store, garage sales and amazon.com all have great CDs that you never heard.   Not to mention all of those CDs with 2 or 3 great songs on them. My point is that great music doesn’t have a shelf life.   Just because Kanye and Jay-Z keep coming out with hits doesn’t mean Reasonable Doubt and The College Dropout aren’t great CDs.   It’s just the opposite.   There has been a long time since somebody referred to a rap album that is universally referred to as a classic.   Think about it.   There have
Maury must be stopped. No one has profited more from Black people being ignorant than he.   I know the old saying: “Mama’s baby, Papa’s maybe.” But, contrary to popular belief, Black men love their children.   Everyone loves children.   Even if Black men realize that they aren’t bringing much to a household, they know that there is magic there.   That magic might be scary, like all magic, but it’s there.   There isn’t much difference between the love that develops between a man and a child with his D.N.A.   and a man that a child that he has raised. I am my father’s son.   No, I’m not light skinned or a hustler, but I laugh when I hear something funny.   I’ll sit on a porch and dink liquor all Saturday morning.   My toes are extraordinarily long (just like his).   I will see a beautiful woman and take notice just because I am a man and that’s what a man does.   My dad raised me well. When you see a Black man on Maury, you know he is going to be running from the responsibil

R.I.P. Rusty Hayes

Pretty soon here I’m going to say goodbye to my dad.   I suppose that I already have.   When I walked into the place where he lived and saw him there, dead, with his mouth cocked open in a very strange angle, I realized that I had been saying goodbye to my dad for some time now.   That body that laid there in the nursing home did not resonate my father at all. You see, my dad was a big guy.   Always was to me.   That body there was emaciated and small; so much not the powerful figure that I remember. When I was younger, I remember how much I wanted to grow up to look like my dad.   He was muscular, handsome and light skinned and I was anything but (I still have beef with every negro that got blessed with being light skinned in the ‘90s).   The best thing about my dad, though, is that he had a serious thirst for life.   He always laughed so hard that you had to turn around and wonder what the fuck was going on over there that was so damned funny.   When I was young, I couldn’t