Skip to main content

The Rubber Room (It Might Suck being Kanye)

Image result for straight jacket




I only have one fear that has lasted the last 20 years of my life.  That is losing my mind.  I don't mean excessive drinking or getting some bad weed at a Redman concert.  I worry that I might go the kind of crazy that the only thing left to do is dope me up and sit me in a corner.  This is a possible reality for me.  I've been involved in some very public freak outs before.  So far, everything has snapped back in place with only one run in with the law.  Luckily that only ended me in County Jail for the weekend, not in the loony bin.

I don't fear insane asylums as places, either.  I know some people think they are scary because of all the medieval torture scenes they've seen in movies but that wouldn't be the worst part for me.  It would be the inability to communicate.  Worse yet, I'm afraid that I'll lose my will to communicate.  You have to find yourself in a lot of darkness to be too tired to attempt your own voice.

There is a difference between no one listening and looking deep inside yourself and hearing nothing at all.  That is a sorrowful madness but I also fear the opposite, the loud kind of crazy.

I have a tendency to think about more than one thing at once.  It's a gift.  People at work wonder how I remember so many things but a lot of times, I didn't stop thinking about something long enough to forget it.  However, in that there is a lot of room for confusion.  You see, thinking about 3 things and talking about one of them can be a difficult trick when you've been awake for 20 hours.  The result can be like dropping a bunch of flash cards on the floor and constantly picking up the wrong one to read off.

The longer it takes to pick up the pieces, the more hopeless it becomes.  Then you have two options.  You can pick one up and wing it from wherever luck takes you and hope you can bring it back together, or you can can give up, leave your cards on the floor, crawl in to a bottle or a book and hope something, anything lights your fire one day.

I guess it doesn't matter whether the mania or the depression gets you.  What matters is that you know the ledge and don't manage to fall.  With that in mind, I can't help to feel for Kanye West.

Let the internet tell it, he was taken away in cuffs during a mental health emergency.  While I may never know what events lead to this, I feel like Kanye has to feel either betrayed because the people around him felt that he had gone too far, or, he has to feel utterly defeated because, let's face it, he's an egomaniac.  Somebody that full of self esteem must not be able to handle having to take a seat to that degree.

I really want to chide Yeezy for proving that a nigga has to be crazy to be ouchea voting for Trump but I'd much rather he was regular ass stupid; not this.  I don't even wish this on his insufferable ass.

That is, if he actually went crazy and it's not the case that he just had a bad day around White people.  Kanye strikes me as the type to be that guy at the job that ate one too many slights at the dinner table and went all American Beauty over the asparagus.  He has been famous long enough that maybe he has forgotten that Black men can't do that shit.

To run it down, I don't want Mr. West to be sad, manic or to find out he can't be real nigga in Paris...  You know what, it kinda sucks being Kanye.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

There's gold in them thar crates

Right now I’m listening to Camp Lo’s Uptown Saturday Night.   I don’t know how much play this album got around the nation when it dropped in 1997, but it didn’t get any love in Kansas City, but If you haven’t heard, it is the shit! I don’t know when it became the general consensus that rap music that didn’t come out in the last 6 months isn’t good but we have to remember hip-hop’s history of being the product of people that were willing to dig in those crates. Bargain bins at the used CD store, garage sales and amazon.com all have great CDs that you never heard.   Not to mention all of those CDs with 2 or 3 great songs on them. My point is that great music doesn’t have a shelf life.   Just because Kanye and Jay-Z keep coming out with hits doesn’t mean Reasonable Doubt and The College Dropout aren’t great CDs.   It’s just the opposite.   There has been a long time since somebody referred to a rap album that is universally referred to as a classic.   Think about it.   There have

I'm going to get myself killed

I’m not suicidal or anything.   I just tend to forget to protect myself.   I don’t even get scared when things get real.   I remember distinctly the first time I saw someone try to kill someone else. Me and the boys were partaking in our favorite pastime; playing football in the street.   It was around the time we were all in middle school so I was around 12 years old.   I had probably just passed the 100 lbs. mark.   It was like any other afternoon in the summer but suddenly some man came running up the street.   Something was off about him.   He was running too hard.   He wasn’t even running that fast but you could tell he was trying his heart out.   Just as he was turning the corner at the end of the block, we found out why.   Another man came up the hill behind us as we watched the running man go.   He wasn’t running either.   He had more of a brisk walk.   When he got far enough over the slope of the hill he raised his right arm, took aim and fired three shots while he was
Maury must be stopped. No one has profited more from Black people being ignorant than he.   I know the old saying: “Mama’s baby, Papa’s maybe.” But, contrary to popular belief, Black men love their children.   Everyone loves children.   Even if Black men realize that they aren’t bringing much to a household, they know that there is magic there.   That magic might be scary, like all magic, but it’s there.   There isn’t much difference between the love that develops between a man and a child with his D.N.A.   and a man that a child that he has raised. I am my father’s son.   No, I’m not light skinned or a hustler, but I laugh when I hear something funny.   I’ll sit on a porch and dink liquor all Saturday morning.   My toes are extraordinarily long (just like his).   I will see a beautiful woman and take notice just because I am a man and that’s what a man does.   My dad raised me well. When you see a Black man on Maury, you know he is going to be running from the responsibil