Skip to main content

Going Down...South (you nasty)

So the work folk have deemed me management material.  Das is good, ya? Ya!  However, this means that I have to train in two locations outside of my Kansas City home; Atlanta and Phoenix.

First stop, Atlanta... or so I thought until Friday.  It turns out the site isn't in Atlanta, it's an hour north in Congress, Georgia.  I had been all excited to get a taste of Hotlanta and instead I get a slice of the real Georgia.  You know, the part that nobody wants visit.  But fuck it, they ain't about to mess up my money.

So today I took to the skies.  I was too busy trying to finish packing to get in a proper good-bye with my girls.  It was quick hugs and kisses and I was out.  Luckily I was also to scrambled to get sad.  That's what happens when you drink vodka instead of packing the night before.  That also means that I forgot two things that I was hoping to bring with me 1) my xbox controller and 2) My swim trunks.

I figured out that both of these things were missing on the way to the airport.  If I had been driving I may have went back for the controller.  Whats the point of having an Xbox for decoration.  This is a 5 day trip for crying out loud and I gots to get my nerd on.

Anyhoo, upon taking off I got all deep and shit, like I tend to do when my brain is again out of alcohol.  As we climbed higher and higher I got a nice view over the Missouri River and some of its tributaries and it made me feel so small.  We all get caught up in our lives like they are the be all and end all of civilization but when you are up in the sky, looking down at the immense size of just that tiny part of the city it brings things into a little perspective.

There were a few things that made the flight awesome.  First there was good music.  I had Murs' 'Have a Nice Life' and big K.R.I.T.'s 'Cadillactica' bumping in the ear phones (I highly recommend both) and I also had some good reading material and a complimentary drink.  (Business travel and drinking apparently go hand in hand)

"Blink" by Malcolm Gladwell is a fascinating book about how we make snap judgments that are often more reliable that careful consideration.  What?  I just told you that I gots to get my nerd on.

So we gets to to the Atlanta airport and since I'm only going to get to see the ATL from the airport I wanted to see some of these nationally known Atlanta honeys and guess what.  That reputation is deserved, son.  There are some bad Black women in this town and even a few down right sexy country ass White girls.  Maybe it's better I'm staying in Bumfuck... I mean Congress.

After I slipped in and out of consciousness during the ride, we arrived at the telly.  It ain't the Marriott but it is the Fairfield by Marriott.  The pool ain't shit, the weight room ain't shit but I could be staying at the super 8 motel that is about 500 yards from here so yeah, I'll take it.

There's a Mexican restaurant across the parking lot so that was dinner.  Now, when I say Mexican I mean MEXICAN.  The bartender only understood the order because we pointed at the pictures on the menu and every single employee was Mexican.  Yeah, I love authentic shit and I think I may be back there a few more times before I head home.  The food was just good enough to keep me coming back.  I ordered a beer and the bartender asked if I wanted a large or small and I figured "I ain't no punk bitch" so I got the large.  Why was this damned beer about 44 ounces?  I had to drink a Big Gulp of dos Equis because I wasn't about to waste company paid for drank and also, I ain't no punk bitch.

In other good news, there is a Gamestop about a mile away from the hotel.  Apparently other people gets they nerd on down here, too.  Either that or a lot of business travelers forget their xbox controllers.

Tomorrow I have to get up and get out early and get to the learning about managing.  My manager (who seems to be cool as shit) seems eager to get me all promoted like and I'm anxious to get to Gamestop because lets face it, basic cable sucks and I can't very well drink and read.

Welp, that's it for tonight folks.

Parting shots:
Haven't seen one confederate flag yet.
It was a nice 85 degrees and virtually no humidity.
There's a waitress at the restaurant that may have been giving me the look.
I'm kinda broke but not all the way broke but still, won't be out here balling.
... and speaking of balling, no bball court to work on my jumping.

Okay, night ya'll.  (People in KC say "ya'll" too.  It just sounds classier when we do it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

There's gold in them thar crates

Right now I’m listening to Camp Lo’s Uptown Saturday Night.   I don’t know how much play this album got around the nation when it dropped in 1997, but it didn’t get any love in Kansas City, but If you haven’t heard, it is the shit! I don’t know when it became the general consensus that rap music that didn’t come out in the last 6 months isn’t good but we have to remember hip-hop’s history of being the product of people that were willing to dig in those crates. Bargain bins at the used CD store, garage sales and amazon.com all have great CDs that you never heard.   Not to mention all of those CDs with 2 or 3 great songs on them. My point is that great music doesn’t have a shelf life.   Just because Kanye and Jay-Z keep coming out with hits doesn’t mean Reasonable Doubt and The College Dropout aren’t great CDs.   It’s just the opposite.   There has been a long time since somebody referred to a rap album that is universally referred to as a classic.   Think about it.   There have

R.I.P. Rusty Hayes

Pretty soon here I’m going to say goodbye to my dad.   I suppose that I already have.   When I walked into the place where he lived and saw him there, dead, with his mouth cocked open in a very strange angle, I realized that I had been saying goodbye to my dad for some time now.   That body that laid there in the nursing home did not resonate my father at all. You see, my dad was a big guy.   Always was to me.   That body there was emaciated and small; so much not the powerful figure that I remember. When I was younger, I remember how much I wanted to grow up to look like my dad.   He was muscular, handsome and light skinned and I was anything but (I still have beef with every negro that got blessed with being light skinned in the ‘90s).   The best thing about my dad, though, is that he had a serious thirst for life.   He always laughed so hard that you had to turn around and wonder what the fuck was going on over there that was so damned funny.   When I was young, I couldn’t

I'm going to get myself killed

I’m not suicidal or anything.   I just tend to forget to protect myself.   I don’t even get scared when things get real.   I remember distinctly the first time I saw someone try to kill someone else. Me and the boys were partaking in our favorite pastime; playing football in the street.   It was around the time we were all in middle school so I was around 12 years old.   I had probably just passed the 100 lbs. mark.   It was like any other afternoon in the summer but suddenly some man came running up the street.   Something was off about him.   He was running too hard.   He wasn’t even running that fast but you could tell he was trying his heart out.   Just as he was turning the corner at the end of the block, we found out why.   Another man came up the hill behind us as we watched the running man go.   He wasn’t running either.   He had more of a brisk walk.   When he got far enough over the slope of the hill he raised his right arm, took aim and fired three shots while he was