Skip to main content

A bad thought



We’ve all heard the statistics on sexual assault.  Well, most of us… Well, some of us.  To be brief, the news is bad.  According to rainn.org every two minutes an American is sexually assaulted. 60% of sexual assaults aren’t reported to the police and 44% of victims are under the age of 18… yeah, 18.  I know that’s messed up but that ain’t the messed up thought that shook me a little while ago.

You see, whilst driving, my overactive brain had a revelation.  All these women getting raped and abused have to be getting hurt by someone.  Here’s where the fucked up part comes in.  You probably know a rapist.  

Let that sink in.  We take into account that we know so many women that have been raped but we never think about who done it.  They say (rainn.com et al.) that most victims know their assailants and by that logic, if you are in the same circle as a rape victim, there is a two in three chance that you know her assailant.  Again, let that sink in.

I am fortunate to be close enough to women to have them share these fucked up stories with me.  It feels good that they would share their pain.  However, I cannot deny how much it hurts.  It hurts me personally to think that someone that I care about would be subjected to such a thing, all the while maintaining a smile.
You see, I’ve always had a hero complex.  I want to save everyone.  More importantly, I think that everyone can be saved and in order to save a victim, you can either defend that victim or prevent the perpetrator. 

The perp is what bothers me.

What sort of world do we live in that so many men feel that it is okay to rape women?  What the hell is going on in our society that so many men don’t know that having sex with a woman that’s passed out is unacceptable?  And, what could possibly be going through a person’s mind when a woman tells him “no” and he  considers holding her down and forcing himself inside of her?

I cannot answer these questions but these are problems that need answers.  In America, sex and violence are too easily intertwined and when sex meets violence the only thing that it creates is hurt. 

There is always a solution.  You can’t fix the past but I’ll kill myself the day that I don’t believe that the future is in all of our hands.

We may all know a rapist but we have to work to make sure that he (even she) never does it again.  How, you say?  Well, survivors you have to tell their story.  Tough thing, sharing pain but you have to pass it on.  Don’t just pass it on to women to warn them about the dangers of the world but spread it to young men.  Let the world know that humans must treat each other as they would themselves.

My fellow men, what the fuck?  If we are going to define manhood on our own terms, let it be as protectors of those weaker than us.  Let us be men that love and not ones that seek to control and harm in the name of getting pussy.

This world is a crazy one but let us all seek to correct instead of participating.

We may know a rapist but let’s do the world a favor and prevent another one from being created.  Let’s stop blaming victims and start raising men to never, ever let this sort of thing cross their minds.
It a fucked up thing to know a person that has been hurt so badly and it’s nearly as bad to know that you know someone that is capable of inflicting such pain.  The worst thing is to perpetuate the kind of world where this thing continues.  Therefore, today, wherever you are, you have to stop this. It’s going to take all of us and its going to take a long time, but if we cannot win this battle, why the hell should any of us survive?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

There's gold in them thar crates

Right now I’m listening to Camp Lo’s Uptown Saturday Night.   I don’t know how much play this album got around the nation when it dropped in 1997, but it didn’t get any love in Kansas City, but If you haven’t heard, it is the shit! I don’t know when it became the general consensus that rap music that didn’t come out in the last 6 months isn’t good but we have to remember hip-hop’s history of being the product of people that were willing to dig in those crates. Bargain bins at the used CD store, garage sales and amazon.com all have great CDs that you never heard.   Not to mention all of those CDs with 2 or 3 great songs on them. My point is that great music doesn’t have a shelf life.   Just because Kanye and Jay-Z keep coming out with hits doesn’t mean Reasonable Doubt and The College Dropout aren’t great CDs.   It’s just the opposite.   There has been a long time since somebody referred to a rap album that is universally referred to as a classic.   Think about it.   There have
Maury must be stopped. No one has profited more from Black people being ignorant than he.   I know the old saying: “Mama’s baby, Papa’s maybe.” But, contrary to popular belief, Black men love their children.   Everyone loves children.   Even if Black men realize that they aren’t bringing much to a household, they know that there is magic there.   That magic might be scary, like all magic, but it’s there.   There isn’t much difference between the love that develops between a man and a child with his D.N.A.   and a man that a child that he has raised. I am my father’s son.   No, I’m not light skinned or a hustler, but I laugh when I hear something funny.   I’ll sit on a porch and dink liquor all Saturday morning.   My toes are extraordinarily long (just like his).   I will see a beautiful woman and take notice just because I am a man and that’s what a man does.   My dad raised me well. When you see a Black man on Maury, you know he is going to be running from the responsibil

R.I.P. Rusty Hayes

Pretty soon here I’m going to say goodbye to my dad.   I suppose that I already have.   When I walked into the place where he lived and saw him there, dead, with his mouth cocked open in a very strange angle, I realized that I had been saying goodbye to my dad for some time now.   That body that laid there in the nursing home did not resonate my father at all. You see, my dad was a big guy.   Always was to me.   That body there was emaciated and small; so much not the powerful figure that I remember. When I was younger, I remember how much I wanted to grow up to look like my dad.   He was muscular, handsome and light skinned and I was anything but (I still have beef with every negro that got blessed with being light skinned in the ‘90s).   The best thing about my dad, though, is that he had a serious thirst for life.   He always laughed so hard that you had to turn around and wonder what the fuck was going on over there that was so damned funny.   When I was young, I couldn’t