Skip to main content

Year one


Three hundred sixty five days.  Yep, it’s been an interesting year.  Wrote some blogs, had a daughter, moved, delayed my book through 3 edits, got a new job, lost my dad and my grandma, drank a whole lot of liquor, dropped almost 2000 tweets, saw Killer Mike and Big Boi in concert, gained 15 pounds of muscle, lost 10 pounds of muscle and oh yeah, I stayed married for an entire year.

I gotta tell ya, it’s not what I expected.  I’m not saying it’s better or worse but I think it’s only fair that I make some little observations.  I’ll make the disclaimer that I love my wife, absolutely love her.  Not for one second have I regretted marrying her.  That being said, let’s keep it real.

First of all, you know how newlyweds on TV go at it like rabbits?  That shit ain’t eeeeeeven true.  Matter of fact, it’s worse than not true.  It’s just a lie.  I find myself trying to get my wife drunk so I can get her naked like she’s my prom date or some shit.  Granted, she did get pregnant really early and pregnant women tend not to be comfortable but as man, I feel like I can make a woman comfortable if she commence to giving it up, but that’s just me.  So fellas out there, just because you marry a woman, don’t think you can turn her in to Janet Jacme just because you put a ring on it.

Secondly, there’s a little Adrian Monk in all of us; us meaning me.  I’m not a neat freak by any means buuuuut, as a braniac, I’m pretty good at remembering where I put stuff down (keys and cell phone excluded) and when someone “cleans up” and afterward I can’t find the damned laptop, the shit raises my blood pressure a little.  Shouldn’t you be able to find stuff easier after you clean up?  I’m just saying.  I’m sure my shoes constantly being in the middle of the floor is frustrating but hey, at least I can find them.

Thirdly, it’s better to have a job.  Bless my wife’s heart. I didn’t have a job when we got married.  The girl had faith though and decided I was worth the risk.  God bless her because even though I had all the faith in the world that I would find something, not too many people were ready to make that bet.  Luckily, she did and those first few months weren’t that bad.  Then she got pregnant and those months of looking for work while my wife got bigger and bigger made me feel like SHEEYIIIIITTT.  I had the book in pretty good shape but if you haven’t sold copy # 1 that’s not much solace.  By some miracle, I found a job before my daughter was born and damn is it a lot more comfortable.  Don’t get me wrong, I’m not particularly fond of my job but bringing money into the house hold more than makes up for it.  My wife never made me feel like less of a man, even when we knew the baby was coming but she didn’t have to.  Let this be a lesson to you guys out there. If you want happiness, find a job.  I know it sucks but not as much as the alternative, believe me.

Lastly, don’t fight, drink.  If your wife is pregnant or doesn’t drink don’t let that stop you.  I’ve seen a lot of couples at each other’s throats because one escalated something stupid and the other one just upped the ante until they were filing restraining orders because somebody didn’t shut the cabinets.  You know what’s better than that?  Getting drunk.  There’s something in alcohol that always makes me think, “I’d rather be enjoying myself.”  Now, I know that some of you can’t handle your anger issues and liquor at the same time.  You people need to try weed, exercise, reading the bible or masturbating or something.  The point is that there’s no point in fighting.  I had that temperament going into our marriage and that is probably why my wife thought I was marriage material.  So if you are having problems with your spouse out there, do both of you a favor, find a way to chill the fuck out for a while.

Yeah, a brotha than been through some crazy shit in the last year but through thick and thin, I always had my wife to come home to.  I guess that’s the most beautiful thing about marriage.  Whatever the hell is going on, I know I have her to come home to.  It has been beautiful for 365 nights in a row, might as well keep the streak going. 

Thanks Jessica for being my loving wife for one year running.  I’m not suggesting we repeat this year too many times but I’ll tell you what, I’ll count it as a ‘W’.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

There's gold in them thar crates

Right now I’m listening to Camp Lo’s Uptown Saturday Night.   I don’t know how much play this album got around the nation when it dropped in 1997, but it didn’t get any love in Kansas City, but If you haven’t heard, it is the shit! I don’t know when it became the general consensus that rap music that didn’t come out in the last 6 months isn’t good but we have to remember hip-hop’s history of being the product of people that were willing to dig in those crates. Bargain bins at the used CD store, garage sales and amazon.com all have great CDs that you never heard.   Not to mention all of those CDs with 2 or 3 great songs on them. My point is that great music doesn’t have a shelf life.   Just because Kanye and Jay-Z keep coming out with hits doesn’t mean Reasonable Doubt and The College Dropout aren’t great CDs.   It’s just the opposite.   There has been a long time since somebody referred to a rap album that is universally referred to as a classic.   Think about it.   There have

I'm going to get myself killed

I’m not suicidal or anything.   I just tend to forget to protect myself.   I don’t even get scared when things get real.   I remember distinctly the first time I saw someone try to kill someone else. Me and the boys were partaking in our favorite pastime; playing football in the street.   It was around the time we were all in middle school so I was around 12 years old.   I had probably just passed the 100 lbs. mark.   It was like any other afternoon in the summer but suddenly some man came running up the street.   Something was off about him.   He was running too hard.   He wasn’t even running that fast but you could tell he was trying his heart out.   Just as he was turning the corner at the end of the block, we found out why.   Another man came up the hill behind us as we watched the running man go.   He wasn’t running either.   He had more of a brisk walk.   When he got far enough over the slope of the hill he raised his right arm, took aim and fired three shots while he was
Maury must be stopped. No one has profited more from Black people being ignorant than he.   I know the old saying: “Mama’s baby, Papa’s maybe.” But, contrary to popular belief, Black men love their children.   Everyone loves children.   Even if Black men realize that they aren’t bringing much to a household, they know that there is magic there.   That magic might be scary, like all magic, but it’s there.   There isn’t much difference between the love that develops between a man and a child with his D.N.A.   and a man that a child that he has raised. I am my father’s son.   No, I’m not light skinned or a hustler, but I laugh when I hear something funny.   I’ll sit on a porch and dink liquor all Saturday morning.   My toes are extraordinarily long (just like his).   I will see a beautiful woman and take notice just because I am a man and that’s what a man does.   My dad raised me well. When you see a Black man on Maury, you know he is going to be running from the responsibil