Skip to main content

Dream Small


There was once a point in my life that all I ever wanted to be was an average Joe.  You know, work at a desk, stare at a computer and drive a nice Honda Civic and shit.  But, you see, there was one fatal flaw in that plan.  It seems like that sort of thing just isn’t in my nature.

I’ve always been a bit of a dreamer and being a nobody just wasn’t going to sit right with me for forever.  Don’t get me wrong, I really like having steady income.  I especially like the kind of money that I can stack up and spend on the weekends.  However, there has always been that part of me that strived for something more.

Even going to college was a part of dreaming big for me.  That college life I saw on TV didn’t relate to me but I’ve always been a bit of a braniac and if you want to increase your brain power, college is the place to be.

So I chased that dream and not long after I finished, I dreamt of more education and so I went back.  Call it delusions of grandeur or whatever you want, all these years later, I still want more.

Soon I will be a published author and as that time draws closer I reflect on what it takes to chase a dream and if there’s one thing about chasing your dreams that I want to share with you, it is that chasing your dreams fucking sucks.

Seriously though, it’s terrible.

I went to college to be a happy corporate cog and that shit didn’t pan out at all.  The best job I got was changing oil at Wal-Mart.

Then I went to study philosophy and while I did learn a great deal about the world and myself, I unfortunately learned that there is an inordinate amount or irrational, stupid motherfuckers in the world.  We’ll call that one a scratch.

Now I got this book coming out and I will be very proud of it, even it sells one copy, but I have given up a lot for this dream.  Not so much as the 50 grand I’ve spent on education, but still, there’s definitely been some cost.  I haven’t had a real job for over a year.  I haven’t had a car for longer than that.  Whilst trying to finish this book I’ve been forced to work day labor jobs and live off of unemployment.  Also, during this time, I not only got married, but managed to knock up my wife.  So now I have a wife, a baby on the way and no damned job (I’m looking though, I’m looking)… but one hell of a dream.

I don’t expect that I’ll become some world famous author or anything but hey, that shit certainly wouldn’t have happened if I never wrote the book so fuck it, I wrote the book.

If I ever make it big, we can all go back to this blog post and laugh.  However, if I one day find myself a retiring janitor let this be a lesson for posterity.  Do yourself a favor, stick to dreaming about getting laid.  That shit is gonna happen eventually… well, for most of us. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

There's gold in them thar crates

Right now I’m listening to Camp Lo’s Uptown Saturday Night.   I don’t know how much play this album got around the nation when it dropped in 1997, but it didn’t get any love in Kansas City, but If you haven’t heard, it is the shit! I don’t know when it became the general consensus that rap music that didn’t come out in the last 6 months isn’t good but we have to remember hip-hop’s history of being the product of people that were willing to dig in those crates. Bargain bins at the used CD store, garage sales and amazon.com all have great CDs that you never heard.   Not to mention all of those CDs with 2 or 3 great songs on them. My point is that great music doesn’t have a shelf life.   Just because Kanye and Jay-Z keep coming out with hits doesn’t mean Reasonable Doubt and The College Dropout aren’t great CDs.   It’s just the opposite.   There has been a long time since somebody referred to a rap album that is universally referred to as a classic.   Think about it.   There have
Maury must be stopped. No one has profited more from Black people being ignorant than he.   I know the old saying: “Mama’s baby, Papa’s maybe.” But, contrary to popular belief, Black men love their children.   Everyone loves children.   Even if Black men realize that they aren’t bringing much to a household, they know that there is magic there.   That magic might be scary, like all magic, but it’s there.   There isn’t much difference between the love that develops between a man and a child with his D.N.A.   and a man that a child that he has raised. I am my father’s son.   No, I’m not light skinned or a hustler, but I laugh when I hear something funny.   I’ll sit on a porch and dink liquor all Saturday morning.   My toes are extraordinarily long (just like his).   I will see a beautiful woman and take notice just because I am a man and that’s what a man does.   My dad raised me well. When you see a Black man on Maury, you know he is going to be running from the responsibil

R.I.P. Rusty Hayes

Pretty soon here I’m going to say goodbye to my dad.   I suppose that I already have.   When I walked into the place where he lived and saw him there, dead, with his mouth cocked open in a very strange angle, I realized that I had been saying goodbye to my dad for some time now.   That body that laid there in the nursing home did not resonate my father at all. You see, my dad was a big guy.   Always was to me.   That body there was emaciated and small; so much not the powerful figure that I remember. When I was younger, I remember how much I wanted to grow up to look like my dad.   He was muscular, handsome and light skinned and I was anything but (I still have beef with every negro that got blessed with being light skinned in the ‘90s).   The best thing about my dad, though, is that he had a serious thirst for life.   He always laughed so hard that you had to turn around and wonder what the fuck was going on over there that was so damned funny.   When I was young, I couldn’t