Skip to main content

The N word


I use the so called “N-word” a lot.  I try not to use it around people that I know are offended by it and people I would be offend by if they used it (White people).  I know it’s sort of controversial to blurting out “nigga” all of the time but for me, that’s just the way I talk.

There’s been a bit of a movement to get people to stop using the word.  Of all the things that are wrong with the Black community, I don’t know who decided this was a good place to start.  Black men have been calling each other “niggas” for a long time but we’ve never meant any harm in it.  I know the word comes from “nigger”, a term that was meant to dehumanize me and mine but you can’t say that black people are trying to make each other feel bad when we use it now.

You could argue that using the word subconsciously plays enough on Black people to warrant its censorship but honestly, aren’t there more overt attacks on out humanity that should be addressed first?  We won’t take on gun violence, a failing education system and the prison industrial complex but we can jump on people about how they address each other?  Makes no sense.

What’s worse, we can chastise people for using the word “nigger” but have no problem getting treated like niggers.  A third of us go to jail.  Our jobless rate is more than twice the White average.  We make 75 cents on the dollar for White people doing the same fucking jobs and all we can do is get upset about how we talk to each other.

The attack on Black people that use the “N-word” is nothing more than a case of us attacking us because we know we are a beatable opponent.

I know White people think that it is unfair that we can use the word and they can’t but they are missing a couple of key points.  First of all, there is no power in any single word.  It is how a word is used that gives it meaning.  When I call someone “my nigga”, they know that I am addressing them as one of my tribe.  By calling another black man a nigga, I am acknowledging that I’m his/her nigga too.  It puts us on the same plane.  When a white person does it, you usually don’t have the understood feeling that we are equals.  When it is used outside of the circle, directed inwards, it has been so often used as an insult, it is natural to assume that it being used in that way.  However, inside the circle, there is a necessity to maintain the bonds of equality and there will always be some name or another that Black people will use to keep this tradition alive.  Who cares where the word is derived.

Secondly, and just as importantly, I can say the word and not get my ass whipped.  There are few “fighting words” left in America but if you yell a racial or gay slur, you have to take the responsibility for it.  It might not be fair but what really is in America?

Would I hit somebody for calling me a nigger?  Depending on my mood it’s a real possibility but it isn’t the word’s fault.  It’s a reawakening of the assumed inferiority that plagues the American vision of Blackness.  How people manifest that old sentiment isn’t limited to that one word.  If we banned the word today, it wouldn’t do me one bit of good the next time I get pulled over by the police.

I suppose that I could find other words to substitute for “nigga” but what would be the point.  I have a perfectly useful word already.  What trips me out is when White guys try to act like that they can’t stand when Black people use the word.  They don’t seem to understand that acting like that they are in a position to censor our speech is to treat us as if they have some sort of moral superiority.  In essence, by not letting us talk the way we wish to, they are treating us like niggers.

I know, this all heavy stuff so let me end this by telling a short, funny story about the “n-word”.  A bunch of years ago, the NCAAP decided to have a mock funeral for the “n-word”.  They blocked off a street, rented a horse drawn carriage and a coffin and everything.  For some strange reason, they didn’t manage to get this fake funeral going until 2 hours after it was scheduled.  This inspired two jokes in me when I heard the story.  1) Isn’t that just like a nigga to be late for his own funeral?  And 2)  Them niggas should have buried “CP time” first.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

There's gold in them thar crates

Right now I’m listening to Camp Lo’s Uptown Saturday Night.   I don’t know how much play this album got around the nation when it dropped in 1997, but it didn’t get any love in Kansas City, but If you haven’t heard, it is the shit! I don’t know when it became the general consensus that rap music that didn’t come out in the last 6 months isn’t good but we have to remember hip-hop’s history of being the product of people that were willing to dig in those crates. Bargain bins at the used CD store, garage sales and amazon.com all have great CDs that you never heard.   Not to mention all of those CDs with 2 or 3 great songs on them. My point is that great music doesn’t have a shelf life.   Just because Kanye and Jay-Z keep coming out with hits doesn’t mean Reasonable Doubt and The College Dropout aren’t great CDs.   It’s just the opposite.   There has been a long time since somebody referred to a rap album that is universally referred to as a classic.   Think about it.   There have

I'm going to get myself killed

I’m not suicidal or anything.   I just tend to forget to protect myself.   I don’t even get scared when things get real.   I remember distinctly the first time I saw someone try to kill someone else. Me and the boys were partaking in our favorite pastime; playing football in the street.   It was around the time we were all in middle school so I was around 12 years old.   I had probably just passed the 100 lbs. mark.   It was like any other afternoon in the summer but suddenly some man came running up the street.   Something was off about him.   He was running too hard.   He wasn’t even running that fast but you could tell he was trying his heart out.   Just as he was turning the corner at the end of the block, we found out why.   Another man came up the hill behind us as we watched the running man go.   He wasn’t running either.   He had more of a brisk walk.   When he got far enough over the slope of the hill he raised his right arm, took aim and fired three shots while he was
Maury must be stopped. No one has profited more from Black people being ignorant than he.   I know the old saying: “Mama’s baby, Papa’s maybe.” But, contrary to popular belief, Black men love their children.   Everyone loves children.   Even if Black men realize that they aren’t bringing much to a household, they know that there is magic there.   That magic might be scary, like all magic, but it’s there.   There isn’t much difference between the love that develops between a man and a child with his D.N.A.   and a man that a child that he has raised. I am my father’s son.   No, I’m not light skinned or a hustler, but I laugh when I hear something funny.   I’ll sit on a porch and dink liquor all Saturday morning.   My toes are extraordinarily long (just like his).   I will see a beautiful woman and take notice just because I am a man and that’s what a man does.   My dad raised me well. When you see a Black man on Maury, you know he is going to be running from the responsibil