Skip to main content

Debate Refelections

So... The debate has happened.  Obama, the President of the United States.  Romney, the ex-Governer and Jim Leherer, an old ass white man on PBS.

What did I take away from this?  Several things, really.

1) Mitt Romney is a dick and he doesn't respect anyone's rules.  He interrupted the President, he interrupted the moderator and repeatedly talked over them only to hold the fake smile on his face and pretend he was being jolly.  A highschool kid would have been disqualified 10 minutes in to the thing.

2) Obama still needs to show his teeth.  He's the leader of the free world but he refuses to tell someone to shut up and know his place.  Come on son!  You're the president.  You control Seal Team 6 and you can't get somebody to shut up when their turn is over?  Now, I am aware that the President can't ever seem to be an angry black man such as myself but there is quite enough ground between crazed negro and punk for Barack to demand the respect that he deserves.

3) Don't fuck with Big Bird.  Not only was I outraged when Mitt Romney said he would pull subsidies to PBS apparently everyone on twitter was too.  I'll give Mitt credit for standing by his beliefs but some shit you just shouldn't say.  If I was a Mormon I wouldn't come out and say that it is stupid to keep your virginity until you're married even though everyone knows its true! (Maybe that was a little off subject)

4) If a man is prepared to debate the things that you've been saying, then say something else.  We all knew that Mitt needed to move more to a moderate line if his campaign for power, I mean the Presidency was going to survive.  However, none of us, President Obama included were ready for it to happen that fast.  Mitt Romney explained that he would repeal Obamacare the first day in office... then implement a lot of the same provisions.  It even took the President a second to soak in that shit. 

5) Nobody in politics majored in math.  The President was using estimates that were seemingly made up, which gave Mitt room to claim he was lying outright.  Mitt claimed he was going to grow the middle class with...hmmm magic.  He was going to use tricle down economics without actually calling it that just like he was going to implement Obamacare (do you capitalize the 'O' in obamacare?) without calling it by its name either.  Mitt is also going to increase military spending and cut taxes and close the deficit which is freaking rediculous.  Barack pointed it out several times but Mitt didn't get it.  He proposed that closing loopholes in accounting would fix that 2 to 8 BILLION dollar gap.  He apparently he hasn't heard of tax shelters... even though he admits that he has money in several.

6) I am a glutton for punishment.  When I got out of bed yesterday, I said to myself "The debates are tonight, they are going to be a complete waste of time."  Where was I when the candidates were introduced?  Sitting in front of the TV, of course.  Mitt sat there and BSed the American people, the President took it and I got more and more angry (sorry for the language twitter followers).  I have a perfectly good x-box.  What was I thinking.

7) Both parties are afraid of the insurance industry.  Everyone wants to debate the cost of healthcare and won't dare to attack the vultures that set these rediculous prices.  If you haven't seen 'Sicko' by Michael Moore you need to.  The American people are being gouged by a for-profit insurance industry as bas as they are by the oil industry.  Speaking of the oil industry, why do both candidates think I give a flying fuck if my money goes to an Arab billionaire or one in Texas?

There will be more debates and the fool that I am, I will be watching.  The next time I hope they address real issues like poverty, race relations, equil pay, right to marriage, the 99%... you know, stuff that matters.  I'm not holding my breath.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

There's gold in them thar crates

Right now I’m listening to Camp Lo’s Uptown Saturday Night.   I don’t know how much play this album got around the nation when it dropped in 1997, but it didn’t get any love in Kansas City, but If you haven’t heard, it is the shit! I don’t know when it became the general consensus that rap music that didn’t come out in the last 6 months isn’t good but we have to remember hip-hop’s history of being the product of people that were willing to dig in those crates. Bargain bins at the used CD store, garage sales and amazon.com all have great CDs that you never heard.   Not to mention all of those CDs with 2 or 3 great songs on them. My point is that great music doesn’t have a shelf life.   Just because Kanye and Jay-Z keep coming out with hits doesn’t mean Reasonable Doubt and The College Dropout aren’t great CDs.   It’s just the opposite.   There has been a long time since somebody referred to a rap album that is universally referred to as a classic.   Think about it.   There have
Maury must be stopped. No one has profited more from Black people being ignorant than he.   I know the old saying: “Mama’s baby, Papa’s maybe.” But, contrary to popular belief, Black men love their children.   Everyone loves children.   Even if Black men realize that they aren’t bringing much to a household, they know that there is magic there.   That magic might be scary, like all magic, but it’s there.   There isn’t much difference between the love that develops between a man and a child with his D.N.A.   and a man that a child that he has raised. I am my father’s son.   No, I’m not light skinned or a hustler, but I laugh when I hear something funny.   I’ll sit on a porch and dink liquor all Saturday morning.   My toes are extraordinarily long (just like his).   I will see a beautiful woman and take notice just because I am a man and that’s what a man does.   My dad raised me well. When you see a Black man on Maury, you know he is going to be running from the responsibil

R.I.P. Rusty Hayes

Pretty soon here I’m going to say goodbye to my dad.   I suppose that I already have.   When I walked into the place where he lived and saw him there, dead, with his mouth cocked open in a very strange angle, I realized that I had been saying goodbye to my dad for some time now.   That body that laid there in the nursing home did not resonate my father at all. You see, my dad was a big guy.   Always was to me.   That body there was emaciated and small; so much not the powerful figure that I remember. When I was younger, I remember how much I wanted to grow up to look like my dad.   He was muscular, handsome and light skinned and I was anything but (I still have beef with every negro that got blessed with being light skinned in the ‘90s).   The best thing about my dad, though, is that he had a serious thirst for life.   He always laughed so hard that you had to turn around and wonder what the fuck was going on over there that was so damned funny.   When I was young, I couldn’t