Skip to main content

Open Letter To Bounce TV


Dear Bounce TV,

                When I discovered that there was a new, Black aimed broadcast TV channel I was ecstatic.  When I tuned in, I must say that I was impressed.  The first thing that I sat down and watched was “A Raisin in the Sun”.  It wasn’t that Puff Daddy crap either; you actually had the Sydney Portier version that treated the play with some respect.  Here we are, a year later and like Cornel West said to Al Sharpton “I love you brother, but I’m worried about you.”

                I like Soul Train, I like Fat Albert, but do we need to see those shows in 4 hour blocks?  Also, your love of the past is getting a little worrisome.  The Blacksploitation movies are usually cool, but some of them are downright embarrassing, plain and simple.  And what’s the deal with bleeping out the “N-word”?  If you want to say you are “TV our way”, you should know that our way is usually unedited.  Now, if the FCC is on your back then I understand.  They have a tendency to not handle reality well and have an inclination to white wash history.   Still, this is supposed to be a Black channel.  Let’s not be censored into mediocrity.

                I see you have some original shows coming down the pipe.  I appreciate you giving Black talent a place to shine.  I really like that you are giving Omar Gooding a shot at a starring role.  But, judging by the promos, I’m a little worried about the writing you are giving the brother to work with.  That shit seems a little Tyler Perryish, my nigga.  We don’t need more cooning on Black television shows.   Speaking of cooning, I’m really worried about the comedy show that you have coming.  Black comedy can be thought provoking and intelligent (Paul Mooney, Dave Chappelle, Richard Pryor, etc.), but I have a suspicion that this new comedy show will be a lot of Black people making fun of Black people.  We seriously don’t need that.

                You have a good running start, Bounce TV.  I’m worried because you are starting to turn into B.E.T. circa 1995.  You have gospel music, commercials aimed at poor people and now a comedy show.  If you had a fake ass psychic, you could change your name to BET2.  In case you didn’t realize, B.E.T. is a fucking disaster (I told you we don’t do much censorship).  You’ve even started playing music videos.  Your choice in videos is flat out disrespectful to hip-hop lovers like me but even if you choose to ignore us, that is no reason to stick to contemporary R&B.  That shit sucks and everyone past puberty knows it.

                In the immortal words of Ice Cube, you better check yourself before you wreck yourself.  You are headed down the same path as B.E.T.  That path ends in a heap of unrealized potential.  I believe with some vision and some thought provoking programming, you can be everything Black America needs and wants.  It’s possible, Bounce.  Please tell me that you are willing to try. 


Your faithful Pal,

-          Cogito

p.s.  Can I get some widescreen action?

p.p.s.  If you need help, get Tavis off of P.B.S.  He’s used to working on a small budget.  He’d be perfect.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

There's gold in them thar crates

Right now I’m listening to Camp Lo’s Uptown Saturday Night.   I don’t know how much play this album got around the nation when it dropped in 1997, but it didn’t get any love in Kansas City, but If you haven’t heard, it is the shit! I don’t know when it became the general consensus that rap music that didn’t come out in the last 6 months isn’t good but we have to remember hip-hop’s history of being the product of people that were willing to dig in those crates. Bargain bins at the used CD store, garage sales and amazon.com all have great CDs that you never heard.   Not to mention all of those CDs with 2 or 3 great songs on them. My point is that great music doesn’t have a shelf life.   Just because Kanye and Jay-Z keep coming out with hits doesn’t mean Reasonable Doubt and The College Dropout aren’t great CDs.   It’s just the opposite.   There has been a long time since somebody referred to a rap album that is universally referred to as a classic.   Think about it.   There have

I'm going to get myself killed

I’m not suicidal or anything.   I just tend to forget to protect myself.   I don’t even get scared when things get real.   I remember distinctly the first time I saw someone try to kill someone else. Me and the boys were partaking in our favorite pastime; playing football in the street.   It was around the time we were all in middle school so I was around 12 years old.   I had probably just passed the 100 lbs. mark.   It was like any other afternoon in the summer but suddenly some man came running up the street.   Something was off about him.   He was running too hard.   He wasn’t even running that fast but you could tell he was trying his heart out.   Just as he was turning the corner at the end of the block, we found out why.   Another man came up the hill behind us as we watched the running man go.   He wasn’t running either.   He had more of a brisk walk.   When he got far enough over the slope of the hill he raised his right arm, took aim and fired three shots while he was
Maury must be stopped. No one has profited more from Black people being ignorant than he.   I know the old saying: “Mama’s baby, Papa’s maybe.” But, contrary to popular belief, Black men love their children.   Everyone loves children.   Even if Black men realize that they aren’t bringing much to a household, they know that there is magic there.   That magic might be scary, like all magic, but it’s there.   There isn’t much difference between the love that develops between a man and a child with his D.N.A.   and a man that a child that he has raised. I am my father’s son.   No, I’m not light skinned or a hustler, but I laugh when I hear something funny.   I’ll sit on a porch and dink liquor all Saturday morning.   My toes are extraordinarily long (just like his).   I will see a beautiful woman and take notice just because I am a man and that’s what a man does.   My dad raised me well. When you see a Black man on Maury, you know he is going to be running from the responsibil