Skip to main content

Open Letter To Bounce TV


Dear Bounce TV,

                When I discovered that there was a new, Black aimed broadcast TV channel I was ecstatic.  When I tuned in, I must say that I was impressed.  The first thing that I sat down and watched was “A Raisin in the Sun”.  It wasn’t that Puff Daddy crap either; you actually had the Sydney Portier version that treated the play with some respect.  Here we are, a year later and like Cornel West said to Al Sharpton “I love you brother, but I’m worried about you.”

                I like Soul Train, I like Fat Albert, but do we need to see those shows in 4 hour blocks?  Also, your love of the past is getting a little worrisome.  The Blacksploitation movies are usually cool, but some of them are downright embarrassing, plain and simple.  And what’s the deal with bleeping out the “N-word”?  If you want to say you are “TV our way”, you should know that our way is usually unedited.  Now, if the FCC is on your back then I understand.  They have a tendency to not handle reality well and have an inclination to white wash history.   Still, this is supposed to be a Black channel.  Let’s not be censored into mediocrity.

                I see you have some original shows coming down the pipe.  I appreciate you giving Black talent a place to shine.  I really like that you are giving Omar Gooding a shot at a starring role.  But, judging by the promos, I’m a little worried about the writing you are giving the brother to work with.  That shit seems a little Tyler Perryish, my nigga.  We don’t need more cooning on Black television shows.   Speaking of cooning, I’m really worried about the comedy show that you have coming.  Black comedy can be thought provoking and intelligent (Paul Mooney, Dave Chappelle, Richard Pryor, etc.), but I have a suspicion that this new comedy show will be a lot of Black people making fun of Black people.  We seriously don’t need that.

                You have a good running start, Bounce TV.  I’m worried because you are starting to turn into B.E.T. circa 1995.  You have gospel music, commercials aimed at poor people and now a comedy show.  If you had a fake ass psychic, you could change your name to BET2.  In case you didn’t realize, B.E.T. is a fucking disaster (I told you we don’t do much censorship).  You’ve even started playing music videos.  Your choice in videos is flat out disrespectful to hip-hop lovers like me but even if you choose to ignore us, that is no reason to stick to contemporary R&B.  That shit sucks and everyone past puberty knows it.

                In the immortal words of Ice Cube, you better check yourself before you wreck yourself.  You are headed down the same path as B.E.T.  That path ends in a heap of unrealized potential.  I believe with some vision and some thought provoking programming, you can be everything Black America needs and wants.  It’s possible, Bounce.  Please tell me that you are willing to try. 


Your faithful Pal,

-          Cogito

p.s.  Can I get some widescreen action?

p.p.s.  If you need help, get Tavis off of P.B.S.  He’s used to working on a small budget.  He’d be perfect.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Maury must be stopped. No one has profited more from Black people being ignorant than he.   I know the old saying: “Mama’s baby, Papa’s maybe.” But, contrary to popular belief, Black men love their children.   Everyone loves children.   Even if Black men realize that they aren’t bringing much to a household, they know that there is magic there.   That magic might be scary, like all magic, but it’s there.   There isn’t much difference between the love that develops between a man and a child with his D.N.A.   and a man that a child that he has raised. I am my father’s son.   No, I’m not light skinned or a hustler, but I laugh when I hear something funny.   I’ll sit on a porch and dink liquor all Saturday morning.   My toes are extraordinarily long (just like his).   I will see a beautiful woman and take notice just because I am a man and that’s what a man does.   My dad raised me well. When you see a Black man on Maury, y...

The two that got away

I have had a lot of great relationships with women in my life.   I couldn’t rate them if I wanted to; that is, accept for the one with my wife, of course. But, looking back in all my dealings with the opposite sex, there are two women that stand out for two very different reasons.   They are the ones that I actually didn’t have a relationship with.   Of all the women I’ve dealt with, these two always stand out in my past.   These are the two that got away: I will use false names because I don’t like to embarrass people on the internet.   But, I will try to keep the pseudonyms close enough that these women know that I’m talking about them.   Shyra was a goddess.   I haven’t seen her in 10 years and to this day, she is the most beautiful woman that I’ve ever seen.   She was mixed or something.   She had the most beautiful gray eyes that you could get lost in at a single glance.   To this day, I don’t know if they were contacts...

Admit it. You Don't Like Black Women You Can't Beat Up

Relax, I'm not calling you gay.  Unless, you're gay.  Then I''m calling you gay.... Okay let's move on. So Gilbert Arenas went on Instagram the other day to shame the WNBA for not looking like the lingerie football league (or Legends Football League, as it is officially named).  I usually would dismiss the ravings of a single dumb nigga but I couldn't because while driving home, I was at the end of the Atmosphere album and I had to turn on the radio. This is a problem because the radio was on the D.L. Hughley show.  D.L. got himself in to hot water a couple of years ago for basically agreeing with the "nappy headed hoes" remark from the Don Imus show.  Of course, D.L. completely agreed with Gilbert.  Ugh, so much sexist, racist shit to cover but let's sally forth. The pattern here is that these women are mostly Black, all strong, and none are there for the sexual consumption of men.  What do men of all colors do when confronted with this?  W...