Skip to main content

Quit Lying

There are two major problems with common sense.  First, it isn't all that common.  Secondly, our culture presents a lot of shit that passes for wisdom that upon further analysis, turns out to be complete bullshit.  You can't argue the first point.  I try not to get mad at people for not using their heads.  I know what a burden being a braniac can be (alliteration bitches!!!).  If you don't believe me on the second point about commonly held bullshit that people think is so smart, I present the following.

Exhibit A:   "Honestly is the Best Policy"

Imagine if you will, a man rolls off of his wife after 6 minutes of vigorous love making.  Still out of breath, he turns his head to his wife's ear and mutters "I would get more in to this if you lost about 20 pounds."  Then she turns her head to meet his gaze and says "I never hear any complaints from the Black guys I fuck when you're at work."

Now, had they both shut the fuck up and gone to sleep like normal people, neither of them would have hurt feelings.  "Brutally honest"is a term for a reason.  People are happier in their delusions.  If you want people to be happy, let them have it.  If you want a policy, try pragmatism.  It will get you laid WAAAAY more often.

Exhibit B:  "Hard work is it's own reward"

Take it from a descendant of slaves.  Hard work only rewards other people, particularly rich White people that don't even need the money.  I used to work my ass off at McDonald's for a check that barely covered my rent.  Did I feel better knowing that my hard work got people hot fries and perfectly shaped ice cream cones?  No, I stole apple pies on the regular and made out with one of the Mexican girls that worked in the back.  Now that shit was rewarding!

Exhibit C:  "A government for the people and by the people"

I don't know what people they are talking about but if I find those people, I'll let you know and we can run through that town like Rosewood.  Half of the US congress people have net worths over a million dollars while most Americans live check to check.  The two political parties are both full of corporate lackeys so there isn't much hope for any real representative government unless we can all scrape our pennies together and buy Pfizer or Monsanto or some shit.  The only real way to get the government's ear is to buy it.

Exhibit D:  "The Fastest Way to a Man's Heart is Through His Stomach"

Men, we all know this shit ain't even true.  I've felt the love from a few women over the years and not once has it been after eating.  Well, not after eating food anyway.  The point is, I can feed myself, it's the other four letter f-word that requires a loving partner.

I think you get it.  What are some other, commonly held dumb ass ideas that you can think of?  Leave a comment or go ahead and tell me that I'm not a braniac because I know what an alliteration is.  One of the most commonly held lies is that people are are smarter than what other people think.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

There's gold in them thar crates

Right now I’m listening to Camp Lo’s Uptown Saturday Night.   I don’t know how much play this album got around the nation when it dropped in 1997, but it didn’t get any love in Kansas City, but If you haven’t heard, it is the shit! I don’t know when it became the general consensus that rap music that didn’t come out in the last 6 months isn’t good but we have to remember hip-hop’s history of being the product of people that were willing to dig in those crates. Bargain bins at the used CD store, garage sales and amazon.com all have great CDs that you never heard.   Not to mention all of those CDs with 2 or 3 great songs on them. My point is that great music doesn’t have a shelf life.   Just because Kanye and Jay-Z keep coming out with hits doesn’t mean Reasonable Doubt and The College Dropout aren’t great CDs.   It’s just the opposite.   There has been a long time since somebody referred to a rap album that is universally referred to as a classic.   Think about it.   There have

I'm going to get myself killed

I’m not suicidal or anything.   I just tend to forget to protect myself.   I don’t even get scared when things get real.   I remember distinctly the first time I saw someone try to kill someone else. Me and the boys were partaking in our favorite pastime; playing football in the street.   It was around the time we were all in middle school so I was around 12 years old.   I had probably just passed the 100 lbs. mark.   It was like any other afternoon in the summer but suddenly some man came running up the street.   Something was off about him.   He was running too hard.   He wasn’t even running that fast but you could tell he was trying his heart out.   Just as he was turning the corner at the end of the block, we found out why.   Another man came up the hill behind us as we watched the running man go.   He wasn’t running either.   He had more of a brisk walk.   When he got far enough over the slope of the hill he raised his right arm, took aim and fired three shots while he was
Maury must be stopped. No one has profited more from Black people being ignorant than he.   I know the old saying: “Mama’s baby, Papa’s maybe.” But, contrary to popular belief, Black men love their children.   Everyone loves children.   Even if Black men realize that they aren’t bringing much to a household, they know that there is magic there.   That magic might be scary, like all magic, but it’s there.   There isn’t much difference between the love that develops between a man and a child with his D.N.A.   and a man that a child that he has raised. I am my father’s son.   No, I’m not light skinned or a hustler, but I laugh when I hear something funny.   I’ll sit on a porch and dink liquor all Saturday morning.   My toes are extraordinarily long (just like his).   I will see a beautiful woman and take notice just because I am a man and that’s what a man does.   My dad raised me well. When you see a Black man on Maury, you know he is going to be running from the responsibil