Skip to main content

I'm only crazy when I sleep


So I have a couple of recurring dreams.  The first one is fairly harmless.  I get it when I clench my teeth at night.  Consequently, I dream that all my teeth are falling out.  I’ve had it so many times that I often realize that I’m dreaming within the dream.  I never do anything cool once I realize that I’m dreaming.  Naked Halle and naked Mariah never show up and seduce me or something cool like that.  I just sort of gum around and spit blood until the ride is over.

Now, there’s another dream that I keep having that is even worse than the feeling of having to spit all my teeth into the sink.  I keep having this dream where I fuck up… really, REALLY fuck up.  You see, I keep having this dream where I commit murder.  Funny enough, the actual murder is never anything special.  Half the time, I pop in to the dream and the murder is already over.  I get in to the dream at the really bad part.  I’m either running from the cops, in custody or sitting around with the realization that I’ve just thrown my life away.

When I’m running from the cops it gets kind of fun.  They rarely catch me.  It’s really fun when I go Wesley Snipes on one of their asses and kick somebody through a window or something.  Sometimes I wake up and the adrenaline is still pumping.  It’s tough to go back to sleep but it’s good to know that my subconscious knows there’s a bad ass in me somewhere.

The “in custody” dreams are the worst.  I have that feeling where I don’t have anything else to live for.  I think about my friends and family, all my education and all my potential and how it has all gone down the drain.  It’s a rough feeling that it has all been for nothing.  I dream that I’m in a cell with no reason to put one foot in front of the other.  I guess that’s as close to a nightmare that I ever get.

There’s also the times when I get in to the dream just before or just after the murder where it hits me all at once that I really fucked up.  I should clarify that these killings aren’t of anybody important.  They usually stem from somebody being racist or somehow really asking for it.  Usually, guns aren’t even involved.  It is usually a shanking or a really vicious beating.  Apparently my subconscious also thinks there’s a blood lust in me somewhere, too, but I’ll pretend like I don’t know why that is.  Anyway, the murdering isn’t the important thing.  What sucks is that moment when I wonder “What do I do now?”  I never hang around to face my fate.  I just look for sanctuary while lamenting that all the hard work I’ve done not to screw it all up has failed. 

I know that they are just dreams but it means that I have some deep seeded fear of having it all slip away from some momentary lapse.  It also must mean that I’m not too opposed to murder.  I’m just opposed to getting caught for that shit.  When it comes to the loss of life, apparently my main focus is my own.

I guess what we’ve learned is, if you’re looking to get murdered, please stay the fuck away from me because I would really hate to kill you… for personal reason, you understand.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

There's gold in them thar crates

Right now I’m listening to Camp Lo’s Uptown Saturday Night.   I don’t know how much play this album got around the nation when it dropped in 1997, but it didn’t get any love in Kansas City, but If you haven’t heard, it is the shit! I don’t know when it became the general consensus that rap music that didn’t come out in the last 6 months isn’t good but we have to remember hip-hop’s history of being the product of people that were willing to dig in those crates. Bargain bins at the used CD store, garage sales and amazon.com all have great CDs that you never heard.   Not to mention all of those CDs with 2 or 3 great songs on them. My point is that great music doesn’t have a shelf life.   Just because Kanye and Jay-Z keep coming out with hits doesn’t mean Reasonable Doubt and The College Dropout aren’t great CDs.   It’s just the opposite.   There has been a long time since somebody referred to a rap album that is universally referred to as a classic.   Think about it.   There have

I'm going to get myself killed

I’m not suicidal or anything.   I just tend to forget to protect myself.   I don’t even get scared when things get real.   I remember distinctly the first time I saw someone try to kill someone else. Me and the boys were partaking in our favorite pastime; playing football in the street.   It was around the time we were all in middle school so I was around 12 years old.   I had probably just passed the 100 lbs. mark.   It was like any other afternoon in the summer but suddenly some man came running up the street.   Something was off about him.   He was running too hard.   He wasn’t even running that fast but you could tell he was trying his heart out.   Just as he was turning the corner at the end of the block, we found out why.   Another man came up the hill behind us as we watched the running man go.   He wasn’t running either.   He had more of a brisk walk.   When he got far enough over the slope of the hill he raised his right arm, took aim and fired three shots while he was
Maury must be stopped. No one has profited more from Black people being ignorant than he.   I know the old saying: “Mama’s baby, Papa’s maybe.” But, contrary to popular belief, Black men love their children.   Everyone loves children.   Even if Black men realize that they aren’t bringing much to a household, they know that there is magic there.   That magic might be scary, like all magic, but it’s there.   There isn’t much difference between the love that develops between a man and a child with his D.N.A.   and a man that a child that he has raised. I am my father’s son.   No, I’m not light skinned or a hustler, but I laugh when I hear something funny.   I’ll sit on a porch and dink liquor all Saturday morning.   My toes are extraordinarily long (just like his).   I will see a beautiful woman and take notice just because I am a man and that’s what a man does.   My dad raised me well. When you see a Black man on Maury, you know he is going to be running from the responsibil